Male Hermanns needs new home

HoosierTort

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Scratch that, im only interested in russians at this point, sorry for bothering you!
Just looked where you’re located. Not sure I would brumate(hibernate) outdoors in Canada, but I’m not 100% on your climate.
I’d suggest an outdoor enclosure with a cold frame(tiny greenhouse) for summer months, and at the minimum a 2’x4’ tortoise table for winter. If you’re going to keep one indoors year round, don’t go smaller than 3’x6’ imo.
You can go to the Russian Tortoise section on here and ask good questions and find good answers. There are some amazing keepers here with TONS of knowledge who are willing to help you along the way!
Have fun while you build the enclosure and be creative! You’ll enjoy watching them explore your hard work!

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Great choice! I love mine and they’re a perfect first tort!
What are your thoughts for an enclosure? Outdoor or indoor?
One of each actually! I have a big box for gardening in the back yard that is unused so im going to turn it into an enclosure, but im also going to make a big indoor enclosure where the tort will spend most of its time.

KronksMom

Illinois
@Colin the Campbell Definitely don't leave the forum. People here are always going to put tortoises (and turtles) first, ahead of people, so sometime we can all come off a little abrupt. But no one wants to chase away someone who is just trying to learn about our favorite topic. A lot of us, myself included, got our tortoises before our enclosures were necessarily ready for them. Learn from that mistake. Your pet will be so much happier if he or she can come home to a tortoise paradise than a shoe box with no proper heat or lighting. Spend the money now, before anyone will die if you can't afford something. Start picking things up a little at a time. A radiant heat panel and thermostat, terracotta saucers for water and food dishes, plenty of substrate, 10.0 uv lights and a hood, a couple hides. Even start growing some testudo seed mix now. Go to the Russian Tortoise section and read over all the pinned notes at the top, that will help you know what you need. And as you have questions, ask.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yea...

Tortoise keeping isnt cheap... if you don't have the money to buy one it may be best to wait until you can.
Absolutely correct. Purchasing a tortoise is the inexpensive part. Giving it a proper set up and care will cost much more. Some just jump in without much thought.