Male Desert Totoise For Adoption in Southern California

NivekJaySki

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,
I have a Male Desert Tortoise that I need to rehome. He belonged to my uncle who has just recently passed. I have a lot of memories with him and I wish I could take him but I don’t have a backyard suitable for him and he would not last among the other wildlife around my area. HIs age is unknown but he was adopted from a tortoise rescue over 20 years ago. He would fight with the other male tortoises at the rescue which I believe is common. He stands high off the ground and I think he’s pretty fast for a tortoise. He will come up to people to get his head scratched. I want him to continue to have a good life. I will take a picture of him as soon as I can.
Thanks
Kevin

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
we have a tortoise sanctuary in central Alabama, and we'd love to have him, if he's still available. Give me a call at 3347403823

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello,
I have a Male Desert Tortoise that I need to rehome. He belonged to my uncle who has just recently passed. I have a lot of memories with him and I wish I could take him but I don’t have a backyard suitable for him and he would not last among the other wildlife around my area. HIs age is unknown but he was adopted from a tortoise rescue over 20 years ago. He would fight with the other male tortoises at the rescue which I believe is common. He stands high off the ground and I think he’s pretty fast for a tortoise. He will come up to people to get his head scratched. I want him to continue to have a good life. I will take a picture of him as soon as I can.
Thanks
Kevin

I don't think you can cross state lines with that desert tortoise by law. @Tom beat me to it.

You may need to contact your nearest California tortoise rescue to make sure you're even allowed to re-home that desert tortoise to something outside of your family. I'm not completely sure about the laws that protect this particular species but I do remember there being a lengthy process to just get your name out there if you wish to adopt one in California.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you can cross state lines with that desert tortoise by law. @Tom beat me to it.

You may need to contact your nearest California tortoise rescue to make sure you're even allowed to re-home that desert tortoise to something outside of your family. I'm not completely sure about the laws that protect this particular species but I do remember there being a lengthy process to just get your name out there if you wish to adopt one in California.
They can be given away for free to anyone in the state of CA. A permit to posses them is required and can easily be obtained for free from any chapter of the CTTC. They can never be sold or traded for any sort of compensation, and they cannot leave the state.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles

Lol it's funny that he's running a tortoise sanctuary and not know about something even we know about given most of us are just regular tortoise pet owners ?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Lol it's funny that he's running a tortoise sanctuary and not know about something even we know about given most of us are just regular tortoise pet owners ?

This forum rules does warn people not to sell or give away tortoises to members with very message counts and or only replies to threads involving the purchase and sales of tortoises. Not insinuating anything against @dustin brassell but people that generally fall under those guidelines are usually the type that are only here to buy low and immediately resell the same tortoise elsewhere for profit. Gotta always be careful not to allow these horrible practices to continue.

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
No not really lol, my grandfather wrote that and he's just a extra, we do have a really nice big back yard tho, but no "sanctuary" sorry.

dustin brassell

Salem Alabama
This forum rules does warn people not to sell or give away tortoises to members with very message counts and or only replies to threads involving the purchase and sales of tortoises. Not insinuating anything against @dustin brassell but people that generally fall under those guidelines are usually the type that are only here to buy low and immediately resell the same tortoise elsewhere for profit. Gotta always be careful not to allow these horrible practices to continue.
No sorry, we genuinely are looking for an older sulcata, my grandpa just gets a little carried away sometimes sorry.

ariesxiao

Seattle

Is desert tortoise a native species in CA? Why don’t we just release it to the wild if we cannot keep it

ariesxiao

Seattle
The short version: Captive tortoises can carry diseases that would be devastating if released in wild populations.
Ok. Got it. I though captive bred animals will usually be healthier than the wild animals since there is someone taking care of them. I know many wild tortoises have the parasitic disease. I also read some data from online that captive bred animals usually live longer than wild animals

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Ok. Got it. I though captive bred animals will usually be healthier than the wild animals since there is someone taking care of them. I know many wild tortoises have the parasitic disease. I also read some data from online that captive bred animals usually live longer than wild animals
It's illegal to release the captive ones to the wild. They say that they have a low survival rate and have diseases like those chronic upper respiratory infections.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

I believe the healthier statement is untrue. A large portion of captive bred owners (that aren't aware of this site) still don't know the difference between the most up to date tortoise care from the outdated stuff people thought were effective decades back. Hell backyard breeders are still, to this day, that is before the pandemic, trying to offload their dry-started babies in reptile shows, local pet shops, and Craigslist.

I agree that many captive bred tortoise do live longer, however, I don't believe the majority of owners are offering their tortoises a healthier diet than one they can find in nature. The typical newer tortoise owners will generally offer a diet that is either too rich for the tortoise or too lacking in nutrition; but bad which is why they eventually end up coming into this forum for advice for whatever reasons. Just because some tortoise can survive some of the worst living conditions (kept in closets with no light and heat) imaginable doesn't mean it's good for them.