MALE 5 YEAR OLD RED FOOTED TORTOISE IN CLEARWATER, FL NEEDS REHOMING

mmills

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater
I do not want to sell my red footed tortoise. I want to give him away to a great new larger home. I've seen threads where people indicate they have a large backyard. That's what he needs. He is in a large enclosure on my back porch and I let him run around out there. But he really needs more than that. He longs to break through the screen and go outside (he did once and I fortunately found him upside down or he would have probably gone unknowingly into the lake back there). He is strong and healthy. Please reply if interested. I have fed him all of his life fresh artisan lettuces, spring mix (no spinage!), somtimes other greens (for red footed) and fresh fruit such as blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, papaya, all kinds of melon and once a week I give him some canned chunk chicken which he just loves. Please reply if you have a huge yard or enclosure for him and are interested in adopting him. Thank you.

Stacey.rennie

Port Charlotte
I do not want to sell my red footed tortoise. I want to give him away to a great new larger home. I've seen threads where people indicate they have a large backyard. That's what he needs. He is in a large enclosure on my back porch and I let him run around out there. But he really needs more than that. He longs to break through the screen and go outside (he did once and I fortunately found him upside down or he would have probably gone unknowingly into the lake back there). He is strong and healthy. Please reply if interested. I have fed him all of his life fresh artisan lettuces, spring mix (no spinage!), somtimes other greens (for red footed) and fresh fruit such as blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, papaya, all kinds of melon and once a week I give him some canned chunk chicken which he just loves. Please reply if you have a huge yard or enclosure for him and are interested in adopting him. Thank you.
I live just north of Ft. Myers. I have a big back yard and a 7yo female redfoot. We have often discussed getting a friend.

Stacey.rennie

Port Charlotte
Tortoises are solitary animals, they don't need or want a "friend"
Most ppl here seem to have multiple tortoises. Redfoots tend to be social, while I realize there's no guarantee they will like each other. My tort of 7yrs is super social and has an awesome setup. Your reply seems very curt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most ppl here seem to have multiple tortoises. Redfoots tend to be social, while I realize there's no guarantee they will like each other. My tort of 7yrs is super social and has an awesome setup. Your reply seems very curt.
Maggie is basically correct. Single tortoises do just fine alone. Adding one more tortoise means now there's competition for the food, the hiding places, etc. Two don't work, but three or more together usually works out ok.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Plenty of members maintain their animals in separate habitats.

Redfoots can be communal given the right circumstances (a lot of space, a lot of live vegetation to hide in, a lot of food and water resources, proper temperature and humidity) - which is not the same as social. No reptile species is social.

Pairs of animals have a strong drive to fixate on each other, either sexually (a male follows and rapes a female continuously) or in regard to territory (the more dominant animal nags and bullies the more subordinate one).

When the group is enhanced to three or more animals, the fixation can't be sustained and stress can ease. Which is not to say that everything is Great -- tortoises don't like to share. Space and resources have to be multiplicative, not additive.

One person's succinct may be another's curt. Anyone answering a question has your best outcome in mind (please assume good intentions). Every question has multiple answers in the forum database...there is a Search box in the upper right hand corner, Similar threads listed below, and a Forum index:

Welcome!