Making my own porch garden

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I've been reading planting posts on the forum and saw that coconut coir and soil without perlite is best but I was wondering if lowes/Home Depot sells soil that would be acceptable to plant seeds for my russian. I've been looking online but all the ones I found all ended up having perlite in the mix so I was wondering if there is a website that specifically sells soils that would be safe without the artificial and chemicals so that I can finally start planting for Arnold.

Thanks for the help!ImageUploadedByTortForum1394054617.257487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
There is one that my homedepot sells. I dnt remember what its called but it says organic and they keep it indoors next to the indoor plants usually. It is made up of only spagnum and cypress and natural things.... If u cant find it look for the most pricey bags they have :D hopefully it will lead u to the organic stuff.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you for your help! Its just been hard because I only have been looking at organic all natural soils thinking it will be okay to use but have always found perlite to be in the ingredients which has been disappointing. I have been mixing kale and arugula with the grassland tortoise food and my tortoise has been doing well with that but he needs the better variety of plants and weeds. I really like carolinapetsupply.com's inventory and will definitely be ordering hopefully later today.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Look for Topsoil. Just about all Potting soil will have perlite.
Any topsoil with no animal products (manure), or chemical fertilizers is fine.
Exact brands will vary around the country.

Also check ACE hardware; their Ace brand topsoil is very good.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Lowes sells a 9cu ft bag of moss dirt for $10. It takes a long time to get water to soak in but it is worth it. Also, petsmart sells a three pack of coco coir bricks for $7.00 that once hydrated, will provide quite a bit of soil. I planted lettuce seeds in some Saturday and they sprouted Monday morning!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plants must have SOME sort of fertilizer to grow well. Every home depot I've been in sells "garden soil" without perlite or vermiculite. These often have bat guano or chicken manure in them. I mix this with the "native" soil (dirt), and I've never had any problems, even with hatchlings on it in large outdoor enclosures. I mix it into my dirt, plant my seeds, throw a little more "garden soil" on top to cover the seeds, and then water heavily. Within a couple of weeks it is usually sprouting well and I let tortoises of all ages run around in there.

CoolDude'sKeeper

Can someone recommend a brand of topsoil? I will be mixing it with play sand and some sphagnum moss for my outdoor enclosure (table). I have a CA desert tortoise (1 month old). I live in Southern CA near Home Depot, Lowe's, Armstrong, etc. I have talked to several employees these stores and at local garden centers, none seem to know about what I am asking for (sterilized / unamended organic top soil). Thanks!