making BORIS a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
I am starting BORIS a new home soon and my question is what type of plants are ok to have in there with him
Oh yes its a new indoor home,
Thank you for your time and responses

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Can we see a pic of his home now? What do you want to change about it?

Plants? Check the list and decide what you want to grow indoors. Growing plants from seeds is best although having the right lighting can keep established plants healthy.

There is no standard for indoor horticulture so do what is easiest for you and your Tort.

Lighting - All that was recommended to me for my Greek was a 100w GE Reveal lamp and supplement with a shoplight for light. I went the extra mile and got a 48" double striplight and the plants are loving the light. You could just spray paint a shoplight so it wouldn't look so industrial.

I would recommend building the table or finding a used bookcase type box. A table about 24 X 60 will keep your young Tort and yourself happy for years to come. Eventually you'll want to put him outside or build him a super table 48 X 96.

Believe me, once you start adding 2 hides, some Flagstone stepping stones, plants, water dish, etc the table will start looking crowded anyway.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I believe that anytime you include items that aren't directly useful to the tortoise and it cannot climb over or through you're taking away valuable floor space. Hides, stones for basking and climbing, water dish & food dish all serve an important purpose. Potted plants do not. If they are sunk at ground level they take up less space but that requires a very deep substrate that will require lots of moisture and you'll constantly be digging to find your tortoise. In an indoor enclosure plants are to please the eye of the keeper, not the tortoise. So my suggestion is if you must have potted plants around keep them outside the enclosure. Your tortoise will then still have valuable floor space that it needs and you'll still have the plants to look at.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Fake plants are safe!:D
cheaper And easier to care for.
I get mine at a store called Dollar Tree. Guess what? Each plant is $1!!

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
Can we see a pic of his home now? What do you want to change about it?

Plants? Check the list and decide what you want to grow indoors. Growing plants from seeds is best although having the right lighting can keep established plants healthy.

There is no standard for indoor horticulture so do what is easiest for you and your Tort.

Lighting - All that was recommended to me for my Greek was a 100w GE Reveal lamp and supplement with a shoplight for light. I went the extra mile and got a 48" double striplight and the plants are loving the light. You could just spray paint a shoplight so it wouldn't look so industrial.

I would recommend building the table or finding a used bookcase type box. A table about 24 X 60 will keep your young Tort and yourself happy for years to come. Eventually you'll want to put him outside or build him a super table 48 X 96.

Believe me, once you start adding 2 hides, some Flagstone stepping stones, plants, water dish, etc the table will start looking crowded anyway.

thank you I was wondering what the right size to have would be

dreadyA said:
Fake plants are safe!:D
cheaper And easier to care for.
I get mine at a store called Dollar Tree. Guess what? Each plant is $1!!

OH, I wasnt sure about fake ones since there safe I think I will go that route

Status
Not open for further replies.