Making a tiny bit of tegu progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
( I renamed the tegu from Niko to Cato fyi :p ) It's been 3 days since I got Cato, and he was only born july 2nd. I believe that the reason he is sooo hard to handle and he's super skittish is just because of his size and age. I've been working on handling him daily, about 2-3 times a day for small periods. (The past 2 days I take him in the bathroom and let him run around while I sit on the floor) We aren't making to much progress. I did put a shirt of mine in his cage for him to get used to the scent and he spends a lot of time on it basking, but still when I reach slowly into his cage he tenses up and then if i get near he sprints away. He only eats a couple bites of food every day, but with how small he is I'm sure its a proper amount. I hope he is doing okay, he does seem to sleep quite often, but he does get active for an hour at a time and is climbing and cruising around his cage. I hope that with growing a little bigger in the next few weeks he will become easier to handle. Kind of discouraging when not much progress is happening, but I know it takes time. In the mean time.. here are some cute pics I took today :D I was very proud that i picked him up and put him on my tummy and then put my hand behind him he went to sleep, and then when he woke up and realized where he was he at least walked over my hand when placed in front of him. he usually avoids my hand like the plague. Any Tegu people have hints for further handling/taming?

IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_3806.jpg
IMG_3803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Let him get use to his cage for a week, then slowly reach in when he tenses just back off a little. It's only been 3 days which is not very long at all he still not use to his new home he's probably stressed a little too. I would wait a little before bringing him to the bathroom to free roam too, let him get comfy in his enclosure for a week or more, reptiles stress very easy, and him sleeping a lot can be a sign he's a tad stressed.

Ps he's a great look little guy. He being so small probably thinks everything's a predator too and can just be skirmish

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
He's real pretty, and I had no idea they were so small to start out

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with ML. Just leave him alone for a week or two and let him get used to the new area and feeding routine.

You can also try using some long forceps and handing him crickets or roaches. Just quit as soon as he starts showing a food response when he sees you. You want him to realize that the sight of you means good things, but you don't want to go over board with it and start letting him get overzealous. When they get big, their springtime feeding response can get very serious.

What are you offering right now.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Millerlite said:
Let him get use to his cage for a week, then slowly reach in when he tenses just back off a little. It's only been 3 days which is not very long at all he still not use to his new home he's probably stressed a little too. I would wait a little before bringing him to the bathroom to free roam too, let him get comfy in his enclosure for a week or more, reptiles stress very easy, and him sleeping a lot can be a sign he's a tad stressed.

Ps he's a great look little guy. He being so small probably thinks everything's a predator too and can just be skirmish

Thanks! he is awake quite often and roams a lot but I see him sitting at the door and scratching and I feel bad for him so I try to let him out to run around. I think for me its just more of the feeling like you have to start at an early age to get them to tame down or else you have problems later on. I really don't want a 4-5 ft lizard roaming my room that is pissed off at me lol. He is also my first lizard so I am new to them in general. I did a lot of research of couse but it's still a learning process. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube of Macguyver the lizard, and I noticed they started on about the 3rd day for reaching their hand in and the lizard would roam over and climb up there hand so I worry mine won't get tame. I know it's silly and he will probably tame down. When they got their tegu though it was like twice the size of Cato so maybe that plays a factor. I come sit by the door to his cage and sometimes he comes over and looks at me as if he is checking me out. I guess its just that cute lizard face that makes me wanna play with him already :) thanks for the advice

Tom said:
I agree with ML. Just leave him alone for a week or two and let him get used to the new area and feeding routine.

You can also try using some long forceps and handing him crickets or roaches. Just quit as soon as he starts showing a food response when he sees you. You want him to realize that the sight of you means good things, but you don't want to go over board with it and start letting him get overzealous. When they get big, their springtime feeding response can get very serious.

What are you offering right now.

Ok sorry guys, really new to this and just eager to tame him down and do my best to raise him the right way. Right now is kind of a trial and error period with food. He is getting a variety of things so I know what he enjoys and what he doesn't care for so I know what to shop for. The first day he got some ground turkey and he liked it. The next day I gave him scrambled eggs in the morning which he really liked, and then he got a couple crickets last night which of course he ate. Today I am trying fresh salmon but he isn't going near it so that might be out. I know there is a few other fish to try. I've been offering meal worms but he isn't interested so far. I am trying to give him as much variety as I can. I know its obvious but he is too small to give mice too, and I can't have frozen mice in the freezer cause of my grandma so I can't obtain pinkies anywhere so he will have to wait till he can tackle small mice from the pet store, which is what my snake is feeding on.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Make sure you handle it in a quiet and less hectic atmosphere ... Just so it wouldn't get freaked out by any strange noises ... This is what I done with my hamster and now she climbs up my arm ! I think it needs a little time to acclimatise and get used to its new owner and surroundings ...
And by the way , he's really cool ! :)

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Cato is sooooooooooooooooo cute :)

Status
Not open for further replies.