Maintaining Humidity

jcalpacagirl34

I am a new tortoise owner and have some some research before adopting but still have questions. I have a 1 year old red foot tortoise and am having trouble maintaining the humidity level in the 70%-90% range where it should be. i mist his enclosure daily but try not to do it too much since wet substrate can cause shell rot. i have only had him since this past sunday (Nov. 6th, 2016) and his eyes have already started weeping (they were clear when i got him) so i know i am already making mistakes. I have a gauge the measures temp and humidity. The humidity seems to stay only in 40% range and even after i mist him it will rise but only for a few minutes then it goes back down. I read the substrate plays an important role in maintaining humidity so right now i am using cypress mulch. I keep the heat bulb on 24/7 and the uvb light 12 hours per day, even tho that does not play a role in keeping him warm...just thought i would throw that in. his enclosure is custom made and is almost identical to the zoo med habitats. It does not have a lid/top to it except on the hide box. The dimensions are 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and 10 inches high. i have an aquarium that i no longer use so i had the idea to take the screen top from that and place it across the part of the enclosure i want to stay warm. it probably won't do anything to help but i think it's worth a shot. i'm kind of out of ideas at this point and am starting to get frustrated and stressed out so any and all advice/suggestions are welcome at this point. Thank you.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Covering it completely will help you maintain heat and humidity ! A screen lid wont help , Plastic and / or foil are probably the cheapest way to go ! Many build a little "tent style cover out of pvc pipe and plastic sheeting , like a clear shower curtain !

jcalpacagirl34

Thank you for your reply. My enclosure isn't tall enough to put the lamps under the cover so would plexiglass work? It would be the greenhouse effect, right? I'm not very smart so can you explain how the cover would work? I can't see the connection between pvc pipes and the plastic.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
some people build a greenhouse-like tented top that fits over the lights. If you don't want to do that, just leave openings for the lights when you cover it, then you can wrap foil around them to fill in the gaps.

There are lots of examples in the Enclosures thread.

jcalpacagirl34

That's a good idea. I have a hanger for my lights so maybe the opening thing would work....what about plexiglass? Wouldn't that work with the greenhouse effect?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thank you for your reply. My enclosure isn't tall enough to put the lamps under the cover so would plexiglass work? It would be the greenhouse effect, right? I'm not very smart so can you explain how the cover would work? I can't see the connection between pvc pipes and the plastic.
This is from another thread , but it will give you a general idea hopefully !

201 S.jpg

See the outside "tent" or greenhouse ? Now imagine it 2 ft. by 4 ft . sitting on top of your habitat ! I hope that helps ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That's a good idea. I have a hanger for my lights so maybe the opening thing would work....what about plexiglass? Wouldn't that work with the greenhouse effect?
I think so, as long as it doesn't melt from the heat lights. I think it is kind of expensive.

jcalpacagirl34

That's an idea but I was thinking of covering only half of the enclosure, that way it doesn't get too hot

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Idk how the humidity would be able to be adjusted if it go too hot
Humidity is inversely proportional to heat ! In other words the hotter it gets the lower your humidity . I thought you said adjust heat , which is a simple matter of raising or lowering your lights and / or using higher or lower wattage bulbs . These are just suggestions , and everyone's situation is different , you will need to experiment and see what works best in your particular situation !

If you did manage to get this type greenhouse you could also make adjustments by opening and closing the zippered flaps !