Mail order Tort food comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I have now compared both www.reptileeats.com and www.reptigreens.com. Both places offer organic greens/weeds/flowers and veggies delivered to your door for the herbivore in your life.

I first ordered a half pound grassland mix from www.reptileeats.com a while back. I was pleased over all with the salad mix itself. My piece of opuntia cactus pad had a bit of mold on one edge, nothing too drastic. Just cut it off and use the rest. Shipping was 2 days and it was shipped in a Styrofoam lined box with a packet of ice. The ice had completely melted and the inside of the box was warm. There was condensation on the inside of the bags from them starting to sweat. It also didnt help that the carrier delivered it to my landlord down at the end of my drive way, past my house and I didnt find it for about 5 hours.

Yesterday I went to Chicago to the NARBC show and got to meet and talk with the folks at www.reptigreens.com. I must say I was very impressed, both with the quality of the salad mix and with the way she ships them out. She uses NASA developed materials which are inflatable and reusable. This plastic material envelopes the bag of salad mix completely, insulating it and protecting it. They say that as long as you follow the directions for storage located on each bag that the salad will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge for you. The premium salad mix contains 14 different items in it, at least 4 weeds, 4 greens and 4 flowers in each mix. The regular salad mix contains 10 items. The mix of items changes weekly, so your animals get a varied diet.

Both sites had equally great salad mixes. I am leaning towards the premium salad mix at reptigreens.com at the moment. Its going to be a tough decision who will be getting my standing winter orders this winter. If you have anything to add if you have tried either of these places please feel free to chime in here. I, unfortunately, did not take pics of the mix from reptileeats.com, but was asked to see pics from yesterday's reptigreens.com purchase at the show so I thought I would share those.

www.reptigreens.com Premium Salad Mix

1/2lb piled on a paper plate
4bef1fc1.jpg

3372a440.jpg

1fb1afe9.jpg

45330068.jpg

ee3779e3.jpg

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have nothing to add, but thank you so much for the comparison!!!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have nothing to add, but thank you so much for the comparison!!!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
good post!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Pricing is about the same, excluding shipping costs. I found shipping costs at www.reptigreens.com much higher than that of www.reptileeats.com. 1lb of food from reptigreens would have cost me $17 in shipping alone plus the $8.95 for the greens. I spent I think $5.95 or $6.95 for shipping 1lb of food from reptileeats. The different in quality of the greens was not that much, definitely not enough for me to spend that much more on shipping.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I just got my reptileats order....heres a pic of my picky and yet very happy torts. The one on the left is AJ's. I hadn't put the greens in with them until after they ate their veggies lol.

100_0990.jpg

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
What are those red berry looking things??? lol

I cant wait to get him paid off and get him over here. It will be nice to have a bigger Leopard than just the baby around. hehehe

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I think its cranberries....the green is cactus. There was also some root looking thingy in there too. This is the first things I've gotten them to eat except dandilion. They wont eat grass unless its snuck in their food. I cut it up small and sprinkle it in with the other greens.
The other tort is more curious than yours, but like I said, if the other one eats it - yours follows. :p

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I kind of thought cranberries but couldnt decide. lol He better learn to be curious on his own! lol Im sneaking grass clippings in with everyone's greens and most are eating them on their own.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the great info I was not aware of either of these sites and I just placed a order from reptileeats I will let you all know what comes cause I ordered three different blends for all three of my different tortoises!
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.