Mahé & Moyenne, my tortoises from the Seychelles

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Mahé is very curious. I can touch her without her running away immedeately. Moyenne don`t want to be touched ( yet ).
They are different personalities although they are so young.

Mahé

DSCN3952.JPG

Today no hibiscus blossoms but dandelion leafs and rose blossoms. And what do my little spoiled tortoises ? They don`t want to eat that stuff and walked right over to the romain lettuce !!!

DSCN3931.JPG

DSCN3937.JPG

DSCN3944.JPG

DSCN3943.JPG

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hello Aldabraman, would you please be so kind and tell me in which temps and humidity you raise your young aldabra tortoises when they are a few months old?

@Bee62 from Germany

~ Once they reach about 4" (about five months old at our program) we release them into our back yard. They are free to roam, browse, thermal regulate, etc. at will. We typically see them come out from the bushes as the sun comes up and go browse until the temperatures get too high, then then go back into the bushes. They then come out again and do the same as in the late afternoon until the sun starts to go down, when they go back to the bushes until the sun comes up in the morning. (Note: our adults basically do the same patterns)

~ The temperatures are generally above 90f at the high point and usually in the low 70's at night. If the temps go below 70f at this age we bring them inside for this time, always keeping them about 70f. Humidity has ranges between 60% and up to 100%.

~ This is a yearing @ 6". Diet totally all wild and natural, natural sunshine & many shade options (self thermal regulation), ample space for high exercise levels and water always available.

IMG_9206.JPG

Bee62

Germany
Hello Aldabraman, would you please be so kind and tell me in which temps and humidity you raise your young aldabra tortoises when they are a few months old?

@Bee62 from Germany

~ Once they reach about 4" (about five months old at our program) we release them into our back yard. They are free to roam, browse, thermal regulate, etc. at will. We typically see them come out from the bushes as the sun comes up and go browse until the temperatures get too high, then then go back into the bushes. They then come out again and do the same as in the late afternoon until the sun starts to go down, when they go back to the bushes until the sun comes up in the morning. (Note: our adults basically do the same patterns)

~ The temperatures are generally above 90f at the high point and usually in the low 70's at night. If the temps go below 70f at this age we bring them inside for this time, always keeping them about 70f. Humidity has ranges between 60% and up to 100%.

~ This is a yearing @ 6". Diet totally all wild and natural, natural sunshine & many shade options (self thermal regulation), ample space for high exercise levels and water always available.

View attachment 252171
Thank you very much for your answer. It was very helpful for me. Although I couldn`t keep my tortoises outside now I will try to copy as best as I can temps and humidity how you told me in the indoor enclosure of my little tortoises.
Like all my tortoises I want to raise the aldabras healthy and with a smooth shell.

Bee62

Germany
New food today for Ma & Mo. Watermelon.
Yummy treat they seem to say although Mo was skeptical the first time.

Ma testing the new food. Eatable or not ???
DSCN3965.JPG

Yes, the food seem to be eatable for Ma.
DSCN3970.JPG

Ma on the left side, Mo right.
DSCN3976.JPG

Bee62

Germany
These two little tortoises are totally different in their behavior.
Ma is curious, Mo skittish.
Today I touched Ma and she or he ( ? ) made the aldabra-lift for me:D This tiny little tortoise does exactly the same as the big ones. AMAZING ! I know the aldabra-lift is genetically fixed to all aldabra torts but it is astonishing for me though.:rolleyes:
I`ve read that female aldabra babys are skittish and males are less skittish or not. With a little bit of luck I maybe have a pair.;)

Bee62

Germany
I`ve changed another detail in the enclosure of Ma & Mo. More light, or brighter light. I added to my Arcadia D3 bulb a T5 tube for light.
Now the whole enclosure is filled with bright light. :)
I think on the Seychelles the sun is very bright on a sunny day too.:)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town