Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Looks like you need to revamp how you have your walls. I have stakes holding up 2x10 boards. The stakes are used in pouring concrete and holding the foundation boards. They are diff heights and have holes in the them so you can nail the stakes to the boards for support.

Maggie has stakes driven down into the ground in the holes of the cinder blocks, but because it has rained so much the ground is too soggy to hold the stakes.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Maybe fill the spaces (in the cinderblocks) with a heavy material?... hmmm

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
how about some cement????
usually that's what you use with those blocks. If you don't want or can't make it permanent, you could always put some plywood first and build the wall on top of that, as long as it's attached at the corners, it wont fall down.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob and I appreciate everyone's advice about my walls. But I don't want to put cement or sand in the holes because I move the blocks when he has grazed one section down to the dirt. So I move that pen so he can eat another section of my yard. What I did last night was to stagger the blocks to make the wall stronger. Then in the corners I pounded in rebar. But it's rained so much here the the ground is mush. Anyhow, I am hoping that staggering the blocks has made the wall stronger...

Laura said:
Looks like you need to revamp how you have your walls. I have stakes holding up 2x10 boards. The stakes are used in pouring concrete and holding the foundation boards. They are diff heights and have holes in the them so you can nail the stakes to the boards for support.

Oh my Laura...He's beautiful and I like having him as your avatar. I hope you are alright and are dealing with your mourning. Big Bubba died on July 31st and I am just now getting to where I can talk about him without crying. Having Max has really helped me thru this mourning as you just can't be sad with a kitten around...

tjm1302

5 Year Member
That is just so wonderful!. Glad he is home safe. (But a little scary)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well I know I'm not the idiot that EJ's talking about because I figured when I read the title that it must be another "Bob" story. I mean am I the only one that knows Maggie and how she posts threads titles? I would have been worried only if Yvonne would have posted it. I knew it would be about something that Bob did. I bet you're glad now that you had that microchip put in huh Maggie? What nice neighbors you have and they must feel the same way about you if they'd come looking for you. It always amazes me how these tortoises climb. I think I'm going to suggest a doggy door for Bob and next time he won't have to wait at the back door for you he could just come in whenever he wants to. :p

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Ha! I love the doggy door idea! A great big 3' x 3' swinging steel door with big steel hinges mounted right on the side of the house. It could be hooked up to an alarm that plays that trumpet music when a King walks into a room. Priceless!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
harris said:
It could be hooked up to an alarm that plays that trumpet music when a King walks into a room. Priceless!

Hahahaha! Bob would love that.:D

Too bad he's so generous with his poop and pee functions, or Maggie might even consider it. :p

M

Maggie Cummings

You guys are simply priceless...made me laugh. You need to really see the size of him. You know the kid in the Peanuts series who walks around in a dust cloud? That's Bob. He drops dirt clods as he walks around and something else all together. A doggie door? I cannot imagine in my worst nightmare Bob walking around on my off white carpet! I was going to wash my car today, I usually keep it immaculate but that's just not possible here, anyhow, I was gonna wash the IROCKET but saw Bob out taking in the sun so I took the hose over to him and washed him instead. He did the first hootchie cootchie dance of the season and that totally made me laugh out loud by myself out in the yard. Those of you with smaller tortoises just haven't seen anything until you've seen a big tortoise do the dance. You don't realize how sensitive their carapace is, as soon as the water hits they drop down in front and their back legs go straight as a stick. Then they collapse one back leg and fall over sideways then stiffen it again, then collapse the other back leg and fall over sideways then straighten up again, then fall over to the other side then straighten that leg. It looks somewhat like the animal is having a seizure. Bob will go completely around in a circle like that and it's a serious crack up. The kids in the neighborhood have been known to knock on my door and ask if Bob would dance for their cousin visiting from Iowa, after I say sure, they bring a 40 year old woman, not the kid I was expecting (lol).
You've seen Bob in pictures, but seeing a tortoise of his size with his personality in the flesh is really something. We have all seen bigger tortoises then he, but he's so social and he enjoys people so much that it's just really something to see him and spend a little time with him.
I was trying to mend one section of his wall today. And I couldn't keep him away. He needed to be right under foot and smack in front of whatever I was trying to do. At first I thought he was just trying to walk thru the hole I had made in his wall and walk off again. But that wasn't the case. He just wanted to be a part of what I was doing and he had to see and smell and taste then finally pee on the blocks I was moving. An 80 pound animal can put out a great flush of fluid, my boots and I can attest to that...
The next time your tortoise is up rub lightly around in a circle like you were rubbing the numbers on a clock. A big circle around the edge of their carapace softly back and forth and I'll bet your tortoise will do the hootchie cootchie dance too...

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Soil + plants. The roots hold it together.

maggie3fan said:
Bob and I appreciate everyone's advice about my walls. But I don't want to put cement or sand in the holes because I move the blocks when he has grazed one section down to the dirt. So I move that pen so he can eat another section of my yard. What I did last night was to stagger the blocks to make the wall stronger. Then in the corners I pounded in rebar. But it's rained so much here the the ground is mush. Anyhow, I am hoping that staggering the blocks has made the wall stronger...

Laura said:

Oh my Laura...He's beautiful and I like having him as your avatar. I hope you are alright and are dealing with your mourning. Big Bubba died on July 31st and I am just now getting to where I can talk about him without crying. Having Max has really helped me thru this mourning as you just can't be sad with a kitten around...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
hahahaha Maggie your stories of Bob are hilarious!! And I believe it's "Pig-Pen" who you are talking about :D Too funny!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
that was funny...you should video tape it and show us. He needs a love rock like Pio does. haha

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks for the Bob laugh (that's the one that's so loud my family have to ask if I'm OK); I can hardly wait to try that coochie-dance-inducing petting pattern on Taco tomorrow! ;)

And I can just picture him maneuvering himself underfoot while you are trying to complete the d**n project of fixing his fence... and peeing on his blocks, it's just too funny!! :p

I am going to drive to Oregon this summer or next to meet Bob; I really must see him "in person". :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Pig Pen yup! That's Bob totally...do you think we should change Bob's name? A pig pen is exactly what he is! Ha ha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that's the same dance I call the "wiggle dance". Scooter does this whenever Ava tries to sit on him. Then he turns in to a bucking bronco and looks at me as if to say "Hey, tell her I'm not a female, will ya?!" When she sits on Deloris, Deloris just sort of rolls her eyes and keeps eating.

Why do they always have to be underfoot when you are doing something in their pen? All three of mine do this at the same time! Once of these days I'm going to trip on one and fall on the other two. When I was taking pics the other day, Bert literally crawled up in to my lap. Maggie, why don't you give that a try with Bob? You could just sit down in his pen and cuddle. Just make sure somebodies got a camera first... and a cell phone for 911.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
haha I love all these stories...I'm definitely going to have to get a sulcata some day when I have a nice big yard!

M

Maggie Cummings

Roachman26 said:
I think that's the same dance I call the "wiggle dance". Scooter does this whenever Ava tries to sit on him. Then he turns in to a bucking bronco and looks at me as if to say "Hey, tell her I'm not a female, will ya?!" When she sits on Deloris, Deloris just sort of rolls her eyes and keeps eating.

Why do they always have to be underfoot when you are doing something in their pen? All three of mine do this at the same time! Once of these days I'm going to trip on one and fall on the other two. When I was taking pics the other day, Bert literally crawled up in to my lap. Maggie, why don't you give that a try with Bob? You could just sit down in his pen and cuddle. Just make sure somebodies got a camera first... and a cell phone for 911.

I forget that you have only been here for a short time. I have held Bob in my lap more times then I can count. Every evening since we've lived in Oregon that has been our routine. I go in early evening with some sort of a treat and I sit on the floor and feed it to him. Then after he's eaten he would climb into my lap and squash me. One time just recently I think, he climbed onto my leg and he looked deep into my face, really looking hard at me like he was trying to look thru my eyes or something. It was seriously different and odd. He held still and looked deep into my face and it lasted for a long time maybe even 2 minutes. I don't know what he was trying to see, but it was a riveting moment for sure!
Lately having him on my lap looks like this...

2r1z2g8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.