Maggie's comments...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
OK...Knobby now has a complete ramp door and the temp strips...I am so proud of him...he took to the door strips as if he'd been doing it forever...just walking in and out...he's using the ramp good and I thought he was now set up for a few years... I am about half way thru finishing off his new pen...so I have one end blocked off with cinder block and on the other side is my pile of cut blackberry vines...Tuesday morning I woke up normally...at like 3:30 ready for coffee...so I sit up...balance out the blood in my head...stand up and go crashing down to the floor...saved from damage by a pile of dirty clothes...my left leg gave out and the pain was indescribable...so I crawl back to the bed and try to figure out what was happening...at a reasonable time I call my son, he gets me and off to the hospital we go...I cannot stand, walk or sit...so I got to lay down in his Subaru...but getting into the hospital was not fun and they wouldn't let my son come in so they threw me into a wheel chair that made me holler...oh hurt...got an xray...pinched nerve in my back...so I got a bed upstairs...my son went and closed up my house for me, and fed the birds...so I was just trying to put it all together and get settled in bed...pets, house, worry...tortoises! Oh my! So the nurse comes in with an injection...I say" What's that"? Demerol she replied...oh s**thouse mouse...I start to salivate...all the fireworks are going off in my head...Demerol...oh yeah fine...cool...but my mouth says " I can't take that...I am a recovering opiate addict". So she leaves and I try to go to sleep and in about 2 hours she's back with my clothes!!! "If you are going to refuse treatment you have to leave..."! In the 15 years I've lived here I have been kicked out of that ER 3 times because I took drugs...now they kick me out of the hospital because I wouldn't take drugs...jerks...so home in the middle of the night and in the morning first thing I go out to check on my tortoises...Big Sam is in his sleeping box and Knobby is nowhere to be seen...crap...my son didn't make sure the torts were inside and close their doggie door...so where is Knobby?
Not there...
100_3959.JPG
nor here...
100_3961.JPG
to be continued...hurts...sorry

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh no Maggie. I hope you can find him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
l have to go lay down hurts...can't finish my story right now...but yeah he' found thank...
Feel better, and good on you for refusing that.

turtlebean

Connecticut
Ugh I’m so sorry this whole situation is horrible! I hope the pain subsides and you find Knobby:confused:
Please keep us posted!

L

LasTortugasNinja

Wow. Horrible! Hope you feel better soon! Pinched nerves are no laughing matter. I have pain in my hand, arm and neck from a work injury back in 2008. Sometimes it's just a numb buzz like a foot falls asleep. Other times it feels like I stuck it in an anthill and I'm being stung like crazy.

I don't know if it will work for you, but when it's really bad for me, I drink chamomile tea. Had an acupuncture therapist turn me onto it. I don't know if it really works or my brain controlling the pain due to a placebo, but either way, it helps me to focus through the pain and relaxes the nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The subject matter is sometimes worrisome, but I do so enjoy your story telling. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow. Horrible! Hope you feel better soon! Pinched nerves are no laughing matter. I have pain in my hand, arm and neck from a work injury back in 2008. Sometimes it's just a numb buzz like a foot falls asleep. Other times it feels like I stuck it in an anthill and I'm being stung like crazy.

I don't know if it will work for you, but when it's really bad for me, I drink chamomile tea. Had an acupuncture therapist turn me onto it. I don't know if it really works or my brain controlling the pain due to a placebo, but either way, it helps me to focus through the pain and relaxes the nerves.
We are more the same than you realize...I was an OTR trk driver and in 2003 I fell out of the cab of my truck and broke my right wrist very grossly...it took 9 months of me whining about dizziness, migraines, vomiting...and the DR told me to "cowboy up"...for me to go to a different DR to find out I had walked around for those 9 months with a broken neck, fractured skull and TBI...so I have CRPS in my right upper extremity and my right hand is semi paralyze, and I am rather dumb at times, no more migraines, but hand and wrist hurts all the time...aside from tea...I have found that a 'pillow'of grains of rice put in the microwave for a couple of minutes is pretty comforting...on my wrist... I won a fairly good W/C case so was able to move to Oregon and retire...but I'd sure rather be on the road in a big trk...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The subject matter is sometimes worrisome, but I do so enjoy your story telling. Can't wait for the next chapter.
I'm sorry...I often think how you feel about whatever shocking or uncomfortable thing I'm posting on a public forum...but that's who I am...for good or bad....you seem to accept it mostly...
my next chapter on the lost Knobby was coming up but after I forced my painful self out to find him...the batteries in my camera died...and I just have a hard time telling a good tortoise story without pictures. I'm guessing it's time for new batteries as i'm charging these daily now...

Relic

Here
OK, I'm just gonna throw this out there - and in no way am I trying to disparage you or your personal habits - but getting up routinely at 3:30 a.m. just can't be a good thing. In fact, unless my house was on fire - and I mean the flames have reached the bedroom door - I can't see any reason on God's green earth to break the spell of slumber so early that the sun is still hovering over Pakistan...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OK, I'm just gonna throw this out there - and in no way am I trying to disparage you or your personal habits - but getting up routinely at 3:30 a.m. just can't be a good thing. In fact, unless my house was on fire - and I mean the flames have reached the bedroom door - I can't see any reason on God's green earth to break the spell of slumber so early that the sun is still hovering over Pakistan...
Oh thanks so much for the laugh...even tho it hurt!!!...too funny

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My daughter really enjoys the pictures of knobby. That was a surprise! You must have a special tortoise. I hope you feel better

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well...I guess the steroids are working as I noticed my voice is lower...I have hair on my chin and I was able to stand up straight this morning...
@Ink...here's another of my favorites...for your daughter...what's her name? He's always doing something and getting into stuff...Big Sam sleeps or grazes...that's it...
here Knobs is trying to get on top of a hide...

100_3495.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Lynns loves him thanks. He is a giant miss Dexter Persimmons.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh thanks so much for the laugh...even tho it hurt!!!...too funny
As an OTR trk driver I generally started my driving day about 1:30 am. Less cops about...seriously less traffic...POE usually closed and that way when my shift was done I was always parked by 1 pm so I could watch the soaps...then I got medically retired...it's just simply that so many years of doing that...I live alone...get a lot done in the early morning...the world is quiet and soft then.
Oh and the point of this comment is that since I read your comment on my sleeping habits...I have tried to sleep in to no avail...so now I am staying in bed...but watching that Joe Tiger thing...thanks ever so....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is now a few days later...I am still in pain somewhat...but working thru it...here is part of Knobby's pen...remember I couldn't find him the morning after my hospital stay and my son didn't close the torts doors...
No Knobby...

100_4022.JPG

No Knobby...

100_4028.JPG

Oh...scared...hurt...worried...gotta go lay down...ouch...Knobs?!
oh geeze...I wonder how long he was stuck there...lolololol...damn tortoise
100_4024.JPG

He shoulda been named trouble...but Knobby fits so well....100_4025.JPG

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Oh, right there with ya, Relic!!! No good can come from this! Gotta wait for the sun to get up first!