Maggie update

M

Maggie Cummings

I am doing ok. Still in a massive amount of pain and cannot use my left hand or arm. I take off the sling 3 times a day and do exercises so my elbow won't freeze up, and I can do those alright. But the pain is intense and I really don't have any control of my hand or fingers. Thought ya'll might enjoy seeing these pictures. My skin is actually black, too bad it didn't show up better in the pictures. It's pretty damned impressive...
Quick story...
Most of you know I live alone and lost the use of my right hand and arm in 2003. So not having the use of my left hand has made life pretty hard sometimes. Most of the time I can handle it pretty well, but then sometimes I am simply overwhelmed with how hard some stuff can be, folding the newspaper is impossible. And I read it front to back daily. Sweeping AND using a dust pan, impossible, I can't start my car, it has a kill switch and requires 2 working hands. I'm forbidden to drive anyway. Cleaning the litter box, I can't make the bed or cover the birds...easy stuff and at times it really gets to me and I just cry and cry. On those days I go into Bob's shed and sit on the floor, and that big dumb *** that can go thru sheet rock and has knocked me off my feet will carefully and gently lay his head on my thigh and we nap like that for a long time. It makes me tear up just telling you about it. How does he know he has to be easy with me? He is so darned special...those of you who don't have a "Bob" are really missing out on a very special relationship, and I wouldn't miss it forIMG_2231.JPG IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2226.JPG the world. I am so lucky...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I am doing ok. Still in a massive amount of pain and cannot use my left hand or arm. I take off the sling 3 times a day and do exercises so my elbow won't freeze up, and I can do those alright. But the pain is intense and I really don't have any control of my hand or fingers. Thought ya'll might enjoy seeing these pictures. My skin is actually black, too bad it didn't show up better in the pictures. It's pretty damned impressive...
Quick story...
Most of you know I live alone and lost the use of my right hand and arm in 2003. So not having the use of my left hand has made life pretty hard sometimes. Most of the time I can handle it pretty well, but then sometimes I am simply overwhelmed with how hard some stuff can be, folding the newspaper is impossible. And I read it front to back daily. Sweeping AND using a dust pan, impossible, I can't start my car, it has a kill switch and requires 2 working hands. I'm forbidden to drive anyway. Cleaning the litter box, I can't make the bed or cover the birds...easy stuff and at times it really gets to me and I just cry and cry. On those days I go into Bob's shed and sit on the floor, and that big dumb *** that can go thru sheet rock and has knocked me off my feet will carefully and gently lay his head on my thigh and we nap like that for a long time. It makes me tear up just telling you about it. How does he know he has to be easy with me? He is so darned special...those of you who don't have a "Bob" are really missing out on a very special relationship, and I wouldn't miss it forView attachment 83384 View attachment 83385 View attachment 83386 the world. I am so lucky...
Hay, what kind of hay!?
Karen can't make it, but I'll be there.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for the update Maggie. Been thinking of you and like the reply you wrote to your sister in that thread of HUMAN or TORTOISE.

That is a nasty fall. Look at your arm. Just wish you get well soon. I don't really can comprehend how you or why you need to made the bed?? You live along right. I do believe no one will complain the bed are not made under current circumstances.....

Best wishes and get well soon.

Remember: Bob will not clean his own shed. You are importantly needed.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
oh that look's painful i can't even imagine hope you get well soon and bob sound's very special

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Oh my! That's awful! I'm so sorry! How did you fall, if you don't mind me asking?

I absolutely love reading your stories of Bob. With being a fairly new member I was unaware of your challenges. However, it does make me more appreciative of your posts. You are such a trooper!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh magginator. Your a strong one you are. No need to beat yourself down and let things shed a tear. Bob and everyone around you will always be there for yah. You stay happy, and live each day the fullest it will allow until the sun goes down. Live like a tortoise :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Live like a tortoise? You mean poop in public and eat grass? Here in Oregon, we smoke it, not eat it, and I just can't think of anything funny enough about pooping in public...Thanks Kelly...and everyone, the encouragement helps so much. Sometimes I don't feel very strong...:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my! That's awful! I'm so sorry! How did you fall, if you don't mind me asking?

I absolutely love reading your stories of Bob. With being a fairly new member I was unaware of your challenges. However, it does make me more appreciative of your posts. You are such a trooper!

Years ago Maggie was a big-truck driver and on a wet and slippery day she fell backwards out of the truck cab, slipping off the wet step. Among other injuries, she broke her wrist. To make a long story short, the doctor didn't treat the injury correctly and she has ended up with a very painful (even painful to the touch) right arm, which is practically useless.

Then a couple weeks or so ago she was being wonder woman and climbed up on the roof to do some branch trimming and fell off the ladder, breaking something up where the collar-bone is, and injuring her LEFT arm (the pictures in this thread).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Maggie Maggie, ya just have to learn to keep your feet on the ground. ;) Very impressive arm your right. :( Hope it gets healed quickly.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Maggie,
I'm so sorry about your pain and various limitations. That would certainly make me want to cry, sometimes. You sound like a very nice person who had some really crappy things happen to her.
Glad Bob is so wonderful with you!
Stay strong. You need too!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Maggie,
I'm so sorry about your pain and various limitations. That would certainly make me want to cry, sometimes. You sound like a very nice person who had some really crappy things happen to her.
Glad Bob is so wonderful with you!
Stay strong. You need too!
Maggie is a wonderful person, I don't care what she says!

Flipper

MO, USA
Holy Jeepers! That looks very angry :mad: I'm very sorry for your troubles and hope that your recent injury heals quickly so that you get one of your areas back! Hug! :D

Bob sounds like a true blessing and a unique guy :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The part of Maggie's family that lives in her geographical area are trying to talk her into getting rid of all her animals to make her life easier. You with animals, understand what a large part of someone's life taking care of animals is. Can you imagine having to get rid of them? Communing with the animals is what keeps us going. Without Bob, where would Maggie's life be?

I know there is probably a tiny bit of poetic license taken when Maggie writes the Bob stories, but there has to be a glimmer of fact first in order for the imagination to spark. Keep writing those stories, Maggie. You need them and so do we.