M.e. phayrei Forelimb Scales

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi all you of the Manuoria Peoples' Movement. The MPM, yeah, what those sulcata owners wish their larger tortoise was...

Anyhow, Vic Morgan, I believe, called the condition with the scales on the front legs 'pine cone-ing' and attributed it to to low a humidity. I don't know one way or the other that is THE cause. Other Manoruia mysteries as Yvonne G eluded to are the beaks. For whatever reason I have dodged those issue with the 2016 cohort, I kept three back, NFS, now about two years old. The best perspective I have on their development was from a recent Kapidolo Farms visitor (who worked at the Behler Center) who ask with incredulity for me to restate their age along with a remark how great their shells looked. They are all huge now, and growing much with a constant ashy gray growth seam at the junction of all their scutes.

I sometimes, about a cup per tortoise over the two years, have fed the old Mazuri, it all was eaten. But in the grand scheme of things it is a very minor component of the diet. Again, I'll mention Layena as the food supplement of choice that I use, click on the word in green to see the webpage. I had used the regular, then they had vegan (no animal sources of ingredients), now they have the organic - that's what I use now, it wasn't available many years ago.

I mix it in with their regular food items. I also soak and mix in alfalfa cubes. They do all eat a great deal, and as they are only somewhat into grazing grass, that means a great deal of other broadleaf tree leaves and whole heads on greens are required. I guess the sulcata people with a large lawn got something there.

BTW, this Friday I will be the speaker at the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society meeting talking about why Manoria rule and sulcata drool. Ha!

Alena

5 Year Member
Hi all you of the Manuoria Peoples' Movement. The MPM, yeah, what those sulcata owners wish their larger tortoise was...

Anyhow, Vic Morgan, I believe, called the condition with the scales on the front legs 'pine cone-ing' and attributed it to to low a humidity. I don't know one way or the other that is THE cause. Other Manoruia mysteries as Yvonne G eluded to are the beaks. For whatever reason I have dodged those issue with the 2016 cohort, I kept three back, NFS, now about two years old. The best perspective I have on their development was from a recent Kapidolo Farms visitor (who worked at the Behler Center) who ask with incredulity for me to restate their age along with a remark how great their shells looked. They are all huge now, and growing much with a constant ashy gray growth seam at the junction of all their scutes.

I sometimes, about a cup per tortoise over the two years, have fed the old Mazuri, it all was eaten. But in the grand scheme of things it is a very minor component of the diet. Again, I'll mention Layena as the food supplement of choice that I use, click on the word in green to see the webpage. I had used the regular, then they had vegan (no animal sources of ingredients), now they have the organic - that's what I use now, it wasn't available many years ago.

I mix it in with their regular food items. I also soak and mix in alfalfa cubes. They do all eat a great deal, and as they are only somewhat into grazing grass, that means a great deal of other broadleaf tree leaves and whole heads on greens are required. I guess the sulcata people with a large lawn got something there.

BTW, this Friday I will be the speaker at the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society meeting talking about why Manoria rule and sulcata drool. Ha!
Thank you @Will. I will definitely try the Layena. Have fun bragging on Friday!

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX

Any photos of those holdbacks?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Any photos of those holdbacks?

In all these requests for photos, and I get several, I have come to this point of view, written for a web page I am developing...

"Husbandry First: If I am slow to respond it is because husbandry comes first. When all the animals are fed, watered, and enclosures are doing what they are designed to do, I then consider customers needs, so yeah, you are the second priority on the daily basis of getting things done as it regards Kapidolo Farms."

What a dickhead? huh? I don't have staff, I am a one person organization, husbandry first. Michela, you are always welcome to come for a visit. I don't take many visitors at all, so that is a big deal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OK, I get it - "husbandry first" - but how about some pictures of your hold back Manouria, with a size item in the picture for comparison. :D

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
In all these requests for photos, and I get several, I have come to this point of view, written for a web page I am developing...

"Husbandry First: If I am slow to respond it is because husbandry comes first. When all the animals are fed, watered, and enclosures are doing what they are designed to do, I then consider customers needs, so yeah, you are the second priority on the daily basis of getting things done as it regards Kapidolo Farms."

What a dickhead? huh? I don't have staff, I am a one person organization, husbandry first. Michela, you are always welcome to come for a visit. I don't take many visitors at all, so that is a big deal.
Well said and totally understandable. Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I can make it over to your place one of these days.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-21#post-1647218

When I was selling the neonates from 2016, everyone buying had their choice of all remaining (not sold yet) tortoises. This is the middle size one of the three that I held back. Maybe a few more years an we can see what sex they become. With three I may hope to trade with someone who know the history of their holdbacks.
Will I see your hatchlings for sale, and threads on people that have purchased animals from you. You go far and beyond as far as customer service and mostly making sure the animal is safe and transitions are smooth. You also help owners raise their tortoise and I have never had an animal from you but I bet if I did and had any questions you would answer. Love the "husbandry first" moto. Some people forget we are all doing this for the animal.

Kyle

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Will I see your hatchlings for sale, and threads on people that have purchased animals from you. You go far and beyond as far as customer service and mostly making sure the animal is safe and transitions are smooth. You also help owners raise their tortoise and I have never had an animal from you but I bet if I did and had any questions you would answer. Love the "husbandry first" moto. Some people forget we are all doing this for the animal.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

Kyle
I have bought from @Will
Top notch baby leopards!