Lucy the Little Guy

BevSmith

Hi, here I am.:)
At first congrats to your cute Aldabra baby. I am searching for an Aldabra too, but in Germany it is difficutl to get one.
To your setup:
I would asap change the thermo and hygrometer to digital ones. They are much more exact.
Basking spot must be 40 C ( 104 F ). The rest of the enclosure should be at least 87 F and night temps never below 85 F.
Do you use a ceramic heat emitter at night ? Night times must be at 85 F or your baby will get sick.
Soak your baby daily in 101 F warm water for half an hour. I would soak such a little guy in a little tub in the enclosure near the basking lamp that the water stays warm during the soak. Soaking in the enclosure is good to avoid any cold drafts.
Your baby needs high humidity. Try to have 85 % humidity. Spray the enclosure and the baby tort with a flower sprayer several times a day but be sure that it is warm in the enclosure day and night.
High humidity and low temps will make your baby sick. High humidity and high temps will make your baby healthy.
I don`t like coco coir or Eco earth as a substrate because it is to messy with water. I prefer fine orchid bark. It contains humidity as well.

Your baby needs a hide to feel save. Something like a burrow.
Endible plants in the enclosure would be fine too. For such a little thing all is scary and she burrows herself into the substrate because of her natural instinct so secure herself against predators. Please give her more places to hide and feel save.
Please keep us updated on little Lucy.
Where do you live and where do you get her from ?

Hey there! Thank you for your advice! Will be getting digital meters ASAP!

We had a hide but she flipped herself over and got stuck on her back.

I use a heat emitter at night, and that with a basking bulb during the day.

Will soak this evening as recommended!

I live in Oklahoma, USA, and got her from Bob Clark Reptiles. His female is the Momma. We were local to him and so were able to go pick her out.

Kittivan

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I think it was only while so young. It would change in a couple weeks.

I’m pretty sure I know who your “mentor” is and obviously is your mentor for a reason. After all, can’t argue with years/decades of success!

I sure do love them when they are that young. I wonder if they realize how big they will one day get. Make sure to post many pics as we all love seeing pictures. Congrats!

BevSmith

I’m pretty sure I know who your “mentor” is and obviously is your mentor for a reason. After all, can’t argue with years/decades of success!

I sure do love them when they are that young. I wonder if they realize how big they will one day get. Make sure to post many pics as we all love seeing pictures. Congrats!

Thank you, Friend! More pics to come! :)

BevSmith

So this morning I came into a fairly chilled room (70F) and chilly torts. My toddler turned off the heater when I was feeding them last night, and I didn’t manage to turn it back on.

I found Lucy on her side this morning, motionless.

Upon warming her up, she moved around and acted herself again, but is mashed in on one side. Will she bounce back? She is approximately 45 days old.

IMG_0380.jpgIMG_0377.jpg

BevSmith

Going to check on them this afternoon when I get home! Last night, she hung out in her shell for quite some time, so I gave her a soak.

Then ate great and seems okay! What a scare!!

Pics to come!

BevSmith

~ She should not be that soft at that age. Are you sure she was not already unsymmetrical?

Back to normal today. So bizarre. Think it is because she sat on her side potentially for hours?

If her shell is not supposed to be so soft, then there must be a deficiency somewhere. Calcium and/or UV has to be the culprit, right?

I am looking into new bulbs, because I can only guess the lighting is insufficient. She’s getting little to no outdoor time with the temps being so chilly lately.

Dipa

Location (City and/or State)
Mahesana,Gujarat,India
So this morning I came into a fairly chilled room (70F) and chilly torts. My toddler turned off the heater when I was feeding them last night, and I didn’t manage to turn it back on.

I found Lucy on her side this morning, motionless.

Upon warming her up, she moved around and acted herself again, but is mashed in on one side. Will she bounce back? She is approximately 45 days old.

View attachment 236258View attachment 236259
Such a beautiful and glamourous tort..

BevSmith

Update on Lucy - beautiful today and a bit scrappy! I tried to pick her up during her soak, and she went scrambling away to the other side of the container!IMG_0572.jpg