Lrg stone in cloaca

Antaures

Location (City and/or State)
Fountain Valley
My sulcata Rocky is 4 years old, but I’ve only had home for about 6mths. This past weekend he was making a screeching sound and was very lethargic. I took him to the vet and they did an X-ray and he had a large 2inch stone in his cloaca and was unable to pee or poop. They sedated him and removed it, but he hasn’t been the same since. He’s still sleepy and uninterested in food. Thankfully he’s not making that horrific sound anymore so I know he’s not in pain but the meds they gave me are liquid and since he’s barely eating, he’s not getting the meds. He’s normally a huge eater. Any suggestions? The vet cost me $600 and I’m just so sad that he hasn’t returned to his normal perky self. I’m worried about him

C9505EDA-0D67-46C8-AAD4-723F985A8BAA.jpegF9B17F39-235D-4FB7-A1D6-BCBBD8DFD1DB.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
My sulcata Rocky is 4 years old, but I’ve only had home for about 6mths. This past weekend he was making a screeching sound and was very lethargic. I took him to the vet and they did an X-ray and he had a large 2inch stone in his cloaca and was unable to pee or poop. They sedated him and removed it, but he hasn’t been the same since. He’s still sleepy and uninterested in food. Thankfully he’s not making that horrific sound anymore so I know he’s not in pain but the meds they gave me are liquid and since he’s barely eating, he’s not getting the meds. He’s normally a huge eater. Any suggestions? The vet cost me $600 and I’m just so sad that he hasn’t returned to his normal perky self. I’m worried about him
It sometimes takes a long time for tortoises to overcome the effects of anesthesia. I would suggest soaking your tortoise in lukewarm water for 20 minutes each morning, then putting him in front of his food. Eventually, he should begin to, act normally again (assuming no other problems exist).

Since the tortoise got a stone, it indicates it needs more moisture. You should soak it daily even after it begins acting normal again to prevent a recurrence of the stones. Also feeding it some foods with a high water content will help. Cactus pads are good sources of moisture as are cucumbers. Romaine lettuce also contains lots of water.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Fist of all he needs to finish up his meds - what are the meds for ?
If you are unable to give them to him contact your vet for help.

Second of all I am sure his body is exhausted and it will take him some time to regain the strength and the appetite.
I would address this with the vet as well they might be able to give him a feeding tube.

I would also make sure he is soaked I know he is older but that might encourage him to drink.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As Zovick said, tortoises don't just snap out of anesthesia. It takes a while.

You can help him get oxygenated be sitting him on a paint can, or something like sized, and pump his front legs in and out.

Antaures

Fountain Valley
It sometimes takes a long time for tortoises to overcome the effects of anesthesia. I would suggest soaking your tortoise in lukewarm water for 20 minutes each morning, then putting him in front of his food. Eventually, he should begin to, act normally again (assuming no other problems exist).

Since the tortoise got a stone, it indicates it needs more moisture. You should soak it daily even after it begins acting normal again to prevent a recurrence of the stones. Also feeding it some foods with a high water content will help. Cactus pads are good sources of moisture as are cucumbers. Romaine lettuce also contains lots of water.
Good to know that it takes awhile for the anesthesia to wear off. He’s so lazy and that’s unlike him. Unfortunately when I first got him, I wasn’t told to soak him so I just had a water dish for him. He went at least a mth without being soaked and he got over heated which is when I found this forum and saw he should be soaked. I’ve soaked him 3-4 times a week since. But I’ve been soaking him daily now. He also eats romaine, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage and carrots as his daily meal. I’m just really hoping in the next week he’ll be back to his happy healthy self. Thank you for your feedback!

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I would really look into other stuff to add to his diet. He should really be getting lots of grass and weeds.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
My yard is 2500 sq ft and he eats plenty of dandelions.

Cucumbers, zucchini, Romain have no real nutrients that are valuable to a tortoise.
They are great sometimes on a hot day as it’s H2O.
Sulcata needs fiber grass is pretty much one of the best options.
Not having enough fiber might cause some issues with his belly.

There is a post with all the yummy treats they can have.

Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He also eats romaine, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage and carrots as his daily meal.
None of those are good tortoise foods. Please read this:

And this:

How and where is the tortoise being housed? Are you keeping it warm at night?

Antaures

Fountain Valley
None of those are good tortoise foods. Please read this:

And this:

How and where is the tortoise being housed? Are you keeping it warm at night?
Thank you for the info! He’s not a hatchling though. He’s 4 yrs old, 5lbs and 11 inches long. He grazes my grass and weeds throughout the day and I supplement calcium 2-3 times a week when I feed him lettuce, zucchini etc. I bought him from prehistoric pets and that’s what they fed him. But after reading the articles, I’ll definitely expand on his choose of greens. Currently his living arrangements is he’s free to roam my yard for the most part when I’m home and my yard is 2500 sq ft. During the night he’s in a large dog crate with a blanket over it and a red heat lamp. We’re looking to build him a home soon but trying to figure out what to do in the winter. We live in Huntington Beach.

Antaures

Fountain Valley
Fist of all he needs to finish up his meds - what are the meds for ?
If you are unable to give them to him contact your vet for help.

Second of all I am sure his body is exhausted and it will take him some time to regain the strength and the appetite.
I would address this with the vet as well they might be able to give him a feeding tube.

I would also make sure he is soaked I know he is older but that might encourage him to drink.
He chugs water when I soak him. The meds are lactulose to help him poop and an antibiotic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the info! He’s not a hatchling though. He’s 4 yrs old, 5lbs and 11 inches long. He grazes my grass and weeds throughout the day and I supplement calcium 2-3 times a week when I feed him lettuce, zucchini etc. I bought him from prehistoric pets and that’s what they fed him. But after reading the articles, I’ll definitely expand on his choose of greens. Currently his living arrangements is he’s free to roam my yard for the most part when I’m home and my yard is 2500 sq ft. During the night he’s in a large dog crate with a blanket over it and a red heat lamp. We’re looking to build him a home soon but trying to figure out what to do in the winter. We live in Huntington Beach.
Instead of grocery store lettuce look for mulberry leaves, hibiscus leave, grape leaves, and so many more. You can grow your own too. All of the above are all over OC.

Heat lamps will burn the top of the carapace on larger tortoises. You need a heated night box. Here are several threads on the topic to give you an idea: