Low-light tolerant plants?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Thinking about trying some plants in my future skink tank... Any good edible ones thta can take abuse and not much light? I can imagine that a skink will be like a tortoise, and trample all over them... so hardy is good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any of the plants sold as 'house plants' would be ok, but you'll need to have a few that you can cycle in and out because no plant really thrives in low light. So put in three or four and have three or four out on the patio waiting to be exchanged into the tank. You'll make them last a lot longer when you cycle them outside every so often.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have found plants in a BTS tank is a waste of time and money. A plant would last at most a day as BTS are too active and strong. Go with stone works and driftwood.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll try to get you a photo. I've got some sort of plant all over the place. My fish eat it, so it's not poisonous and it grows anywhere. Light. Dark. Dry. Wet. It's crazy. One thing though, the leaves start out small when it comes in a tiny pot, but left unchecked it will grow hundreds of feet long with leaves at least 20" across. They will stay tiny if you keep it cut back. You can grow them on the sides or back or your set-up to avoid trampling. I'll try to get a photo up:

image_42.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's the plant on the very left. With the green and yellow leaves. It's the only photo of it on my phone. Sorry.
I purchased a single plant at Walmart when I first purchased my house. Now it is many dozen plants.
When you see one in a pot, it will have 1 or 2" leaves and it may be in a hanging basket.
One is in my back bathroom with ZERO light and it's been growing for nine years.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Green and yellow? Zeropilot, do you mean the pothos on the far right as you look at the photo? Looks like this:
14DEFD20991DE6.jpg

Those are pretty darn hardy. I use them with my Fire, Olive Tree, and Golden Skinks (hatchlings and adults). The largest is only 130ish grams, though, so I don't know how it would stand up to a big, fatty BTS!!

Another good one would be Spider Plant--though, again, don't know how it would hold up against a larger BTS, as I haven't put one in with anything wider/heavier and terrestrial than a juvenile tortoise... Both of these have proven to stand up well in terrariums of various light levels (including not so well lit snake vivs) and a rather lazy watering regiment.

I remember you saying you want to start with a baby BTS? As a neonate, it shouldn't be able to wreck plants too badly.. Then you can just reevaluate as he grows. :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'll try to get you a photo. I've got some sort of plant all over the place. My fish eat it, so it's not poisonous and it grows anywhere. Light. Dark. Dry. Wet. It's crazy. One thing though, the leaves start out small when it comes in a tiny pot, but left unchecked it will grow hundreds of feet long with leaves at least 20" across. They will stay tiny if you keep it cut back. You can grow them on the sides or back or your set-up to avoid trampling. I'll try to get a photo up:
It's awfully pretty! It would be great if it could grow that big.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have found plants in a BTS tank is a waste of time and money. A plant would last at most a day as BTS are too active and strong. Go with stone works and driftwood.
I'm willing to give it try, at least for a bit ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Green and yellow? Zeropilot, do you mean the pothos on the far right as you look at the photo? Looks like this:
14DEFD20991DE6.jpg

Those are pretty darn hardy. I use them with my Fire, Olive Tree, and Golden Skinks (hatchlings and adults). The largest is only 130ish grams, though, so I don't know how it would stand up to a big, fatty BTS!!

Another good one would be Spider Plant--though, again, don't know how it would hold up against a larger BTS, as I haven't put one in with anything wider/heavier and terrestrial than a juvenile tortoise... Both of these have proven to stand up well in terrariums of various light levels (including not so well lit snake vivs) and a rather lazy watering regiment.

I remember you saying you want to start with a baby BTS? As a neonate, it shouldn't be able to wreck plants too badly.. Then you can just reevaluate as he grows. :)
Sure things ;) I could probably upgrade to 'larger' plants as he/she grows, but to start out I think spider plants will be one of first choices, I'll be looking forward to so many!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'd be wary of using pothos as it contains toxins (raphides) in common with elephant ears and philodendron. If using spider plants I would suggest establishing a plant outside enclosure and using "babies" in tank.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Some torts can eat it like Indotestudo, redfoots and Manouria but I still am hesitant about letting other herps eat it.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you for that info, Larry! I only use Pothos for insectivorous skinks at this time, so haven't ever had to worry/think about toxicity.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I'd be wary of using pothos as it contains toxins (raphides) in common with elephant ears and philodendron. If using spider plants I would suggest establishing a plant outside enclosure and using "babies" in tank.

Of all the Aroids, "pothos" seems to be one of the safest. The level of rhaphides is remarkably low.
Prehensile tailed skinks eat this plant as a staple. There are very few veterinary reports of distress after ingestion. It has been use extensively in animal enclosures for more than 40 years.
Each member of the Aroid family should be considered carefully, but I have no qualms about Epipremium aureum.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some torts can eat it like Indotestudo, redfoots and Manouria but I still am hesitant about letting other herps eat it.
I thank you for the "heads up". I never intended it as food in the beginning...It was climbing ground cover that ended up getting eaten.