Love story in Spain/The results...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on your hatchlings! :) How long did it take for them to hatch? At what temps? How long have you been working with them?

jesus

5 Year Member
Hallo:
1 was born the 19/02/2013( eggs laid the 7/10/12)
1 was born the 19/03/2013 (eggs laid the 11/11/12)
1 was born the 26/03/2013 (eggs laid the 11/11/12)

To be honest, I am not too strict regarding temperature (also because the first incubator got broken); I maintain the temperatura between 29ºC and 32º. I have read that in the wild the temperature also changes during the incubation period.

I Had my first elongated in the nineties (stolen) and began again with them in 2009...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Very cute. That stinks about your tort getting stolen. Love the title too this thread too, clever:)

jesus

5 Year Member
Thanks for your comments...

PS I got 10 tortoises of 5 species stolen....I even sold the house because of it!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Love story in Spain/The results...

jesus said:
Thanks for your comments...

PS I got 10 tortoises of 5 species stolen....I even sold the house because of it!

That stinks! :-/

Glad for your success currently. Those babies are precious!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Congrats they look great! I leave my elongate ova at a variable temp prior to incubation. I recently uncovered a clutch of five that had experienced a couple weeks of low 48-50F nighttime temps. They are starting to develop after a month of being warmed up.

jesus

5 Year Member
Hallo Benjamin, thank you for sharing your experiences. I have a clutch of four that remained at aprox 20º degrees Celsius outside for a couple of weeks before putting them into the incubator...

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
jesus said:
Hallo Benjamin, thank you for sharing your experiences. I have a clutch of four that remained at aprox 20º degrees Celsius outside for a couple of weeks before putting them into the incubator...

Are these ova developing? Female laid a clutch of three last week. Currently they are in my pantry at about 65-70F for a few weeks.

I have not had any develop being put straight into a warm incubator.

Last year I put three straight in and after four weeks they showed no development. Set them on a shelf at 77-81 several weeks, one started development during this time. The other two started after being returned to the incubator.

jesus

5 Year Member
Hallo,I have not checked yet if they have begun to develop. Nevertheless I do not dominate very much the "egg-checking technic"...
Two of the elongate from the photo belonged to a clutch of 2 eggs put inside the incubator the day after being laid.

A very interesting thing about one of my females is that she stayed above the nest during most of the day for about two weeks after laying the eggs; I have not seen that in other species... (I have read in manouria is an usual habit...)