louis one year weights and photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
when i bought my first sulcata in january, i was told "he" was 5 months old. so, today i weighed and measured him. he'd gained 70 grams in the last month and grew 1/4 of an inch. also wondering if his weight growth is too fast? i feed him plenty of spring mix, a little mazuri each day and throw in a chunk of cuttlebone about once a week.
100_4087-1.jpg
[/img]
100_4084-1.jpg
[/img]
100_4085.jpg

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
very nice shell he looks to be good and healthy :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks good and his growth rate is fine. Different people have different ideas about diet and supplements. I don't like to use grocery store food, unless I just have too. I usually feed some spring mix to my hatchlings once in a while, just so they are used to eating it wherever they go, but I don't feed it to my own keepers much. I like Mazuri, but I think every day is too much. I feed it twice a week usually. I'm not saying right or wrong here, just sharing my preferences and what has worked for me. If you are worried about him growing too fast, feeding more weeds and grass and less Mazuri will do a much better job for you.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
He looks amazing! So nice and smooth

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would have to say take Tom's advice. I "believe" that the reason my 18 month old Sulcata Cooper is as big as he is (11 pounds and 12 1/2 inch's) is because for 1: he may be getting a little to much food, and for 2: he gets Mazuri more then twice a week. If I had it to do over again, I would have read Tom's thread's before I got Cooper, and then asked more question's about feeding. But, it is what it is now, but I have cut back on what he eats now. Best of luck and your sully looks good to me! :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Very nice looking tortoise. Keep doing what you have been doing.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks for the comments. yes, i have considered needing to cut him back to not having the mazuri everyday. he was very small and not growing as well, so i had upped the mazuri and his growth took off. but, i will start cutting him back on that. i have also noticed lately that he's coming out of his hide and acting like he wants to feed in the evenings now as well, which he never did before. i only put a little more spring mix out for him in the evenings, no mazuri. also needing to get ready to get him a bigger habitat and hoping i can handle keeping his humidity up.

Status
Not open for further replies.