LOST TORT FOUND AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

gfergo2

Location (City and/or State)
Valencia, Spain
Hi all, I am English but I live near Valencia, Spain. Last week a tortoise appeared in our garden and I’ve been trying to look after him(?) since. I took him to the vet to see if he was chipped so I could reunite him with his rightful owner but sadly he is not.

I’ve been advised not to advertise locally with “Tortoise found” posters because apparently everyone will claim he is theirs so until something happens I’ll try to do my best by him.

Where we live is on the very edge of a forest and is very rural and mountainous. In fact we don’t really have any neighbours as most homes in the vicinity are holiday rentals and rarely occupied. Our property is the very last one before the forest starts so all we can see for miles are trees. Wherever he walked from to get to us must have been quite a way away! I’m told they don’t live wild so he must have escaped from his owner (or been released sadly!)

The climate here is very hot and dry. The summer days (March to November) peak are over 40c (100f) and the nights 25c (80f). In the winter (December to February) we do drop to just above freezing. Needless to say, currently it is VERY hot and this is expected until at least October. Also, there isn’t really anything noticeable which could be regarded as spring or autumn! Hot or cold, take it or leave it lol.

Photographs attached so hopefully one of the experts here can tell me what type he is and that will start me off in the right direction for his care. Marking a piece of paper with him sat on it puts him 13cm in length and 10cm wide (at the widest point)

At the risk of being slated for being an idiot I’ll come clean with all we have done so far as I’d rather know if I’m doing something wrong rather than say nothing and put him in any danger.

I have been feeding him on demand with iceberg lettuce, grated carrot and chopped cabbage with a little occasional unseeded tomato and apple. He has a shallow water bowl and a large ceramic dish for bathing in too (see photo).

In the day he strolls around our very large patio area (see photo) which is escape proof. He has a shoe box house with wood shavings and a stone inside which he uses as and when needed for sleeping in. Of a night I take him and his shoe box in and put him in a large plastic cage (20Dx40Wx80L) again with wood shavings, food and water. He goes in our utility room which is dark, warm and ventilated.

Reading all the threads on hibernation, humidity, lamps, etc, etc terrifies me! I guess time will reveal all and for now I need to walk before I can run. I just hope I’m as good a walker as he is!

As you may have guessed I’ve not owned a tortoise before so ANY help and advice would be greatly appreciated and is very much needed.

Thank you all in advance, I have tried to be thorough above but if you need any more photographs or have any questions please just ask.

20180710_163040_resized.jpg 20180710_163144_resized.jpg 20180710_163209_resized.jpg 20180710_163425_resized.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What a find! I am not sure of the species but someone will chime in. I would stop feeding the just about everything you are feeding. Apple seeds are bad for them. Pick weeds and grass outside for him and once you find the species there are care sheets here to help you with the food. Also let him graze outside (supervised) and you can see what he prefers. I would give him a good soak in warm water for a half hour. Water depth to where the top and bottom shell meet.
As for advertising you could put found tortice but not give details of species, markings or size. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I'm not sure what species you've found, but temporarily you can read either our Greek or Hermanns care sheets for information on how to care for this tortoise until we know for sure what species he is. I'll send a shout-out to @HermanniChris and to @Markw84 for help with an I.D.

I've never seen the mottled skin on the mediterranean species, so that's throwing me for a loop.

There is a Testudo graeca graeca that is native to southern Spain, but none of the pictures I could find of them show the different color patches on the skin. Let's wait and see if Mark or Chris can I.D. him for you.

Last edited:

gfergo2

Valencia, Spain
What a find! I am not sure of the species but someone will chime in. I would stop feeding the just about everything you are feeding. Apple seeds are bad for them. Pick weeds and grass outside for him and once you find the species there are care sheets here to help you with the food. Also let him graze outside (supervised) and you can see what he prefers. I would give him a good soak in warm water for a half hour. Water depth to where the top and bottom shell meet.
As for advertising you could put found tortice but not give details of species, markings or size. Good luck!

No seeds in the apple or tomato but I'll stop anyway. He does seem healthy and has a good appetite particularly for iceberg. The photo of the ceramic bowl has water in it but he doesn't stay put long. Should I put him in a high sided bowl (with very shallow water of course) so he has no choice but to stay in it for half an hour?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You’ve found a Testudo graeca graeca for certain.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
No seeds in the apple or tomato but I'll stop anyway. He does seem healthy and has a good appetite particularly for iceberg. The photo of the ceramic bowl has water in it but he doesn't stay put long. Should I put him in a high sided bowl (with very shallow water of course) so he has no choice but to stay in it for half an hour?
Yes high sided. Now that your tort has been identified go to that species here and look for the care sheets. I think you will find that most of what you are feeding is at the bottom of the list. LOL Not your fault 20180706_170310.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
There's no reason you can't advertise him as being found.... Just make sure you receive proof that the owner is the owner before you hand him over. Don't give your address until you have that proof either. Proof as in pictures. I don't think there's a single one of us on this forum that doesn't have a picture of each one of our tortoises on our phone?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yes, T. graeca are absolutely found in Spain and considered to be introduced much like the Hermann’s of the Spanish (Balearic) islands Mallorca and Minorca.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Go to tortoise species, click on Greek tortoise and read the first post on recognition. Scroll down till you find your species. I would send you the link but haven't figured it out yet lol

gfergo2

Valencia, Spain
Thanks guys, lots of good information quickly which is what I needed. Keep it coming!

So, I've found (or more like he found me) a wild Testudo graeca graeca (or North African Greek).

From reading the recognition page the size of him would suggest he is fully grown. If this is true am I being in any way cruel now keeping him in captivity?

While we ponder that one, the foods I've given it don't get a specific mention as good or bad on the care sheet which I believe is https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Can anyone clarify if this is the correct sheet and if the food I'm giving it is bad?

How often should I be putting in a high sided bowl of shallow warm water? Daily?

Finally, any comments on where it is roaming and sleeping?

Sorry to keep asking things but I just want him healthy and what's best for him

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What a great place to live. Beautiful countryside, weather and wild torts! On the soaking I am not sure their needs. I was worried about a lost tort being dehydrated. If you want a tort you might put a GPS tracker on that one. Which would be interesting to watch the movements. But also a chance of losing your investment and buy a tort from a respectable breeder. That's if you really want to enter the world of raising a tort. Good luck on your decision.

Marianna

Crete Greece
Congratulations! I live in Greece, Crete and climate is simular as yours. Your tortoise can tolerate very hot as well as cold weather. This time of year in the wild they survive on dry weeds but for sure you will be able to find vine leaves, cactus pads, hibiscus flowers and mulberry leaves. He will eat them both fresh and dried. I also give my tortoises some cucumber and romaine lettuce from time to tme to keep them well hydrated as they are not big drinkers. Hope you have a secured garden where you can put him. He will sleep under a shrub or grasses and seek shade during the hot summermonths. Easy pets!

gfergo2

Valencia, Spain
Congratulations! I live in Greece, Crete and climate is simular as yours. Your tortoise can tolerate very hot as well as cold weather. This time of year in the wild they survive on dry weeds but for sure you will be able to find vine leaves, cactus pads, hibiscus flowers and mulberry leaves. He will eat them both fresh and dried. I also give my tortoises some cucumber and romaine lettuce from time to tme to keep them well hydrated as they are not big drinkers. Hope you have a secured garden where you can put him. He will sleep under a shrub or grasses and seek shade during the hot summermonths. Easy pets!
Garden is pretty secure, we have 2500 m2 but can't let him roam around it, would find him floating in the pool! I have to confine him to the patio with a shaded box for a bed.