Lost: our 3 Red Foot Tortoises. Oviedo, FL

JBF

5 Year Member
Our three red foot tortoises are missing (5/28/18)! Oviedo, Fl. They are 10-12 inches long. One has red on her legs and head, with all black carapace. One has yellow spots on legs and head, with yellow spots and a few white scars on her carapace. The third has red spots on her legs and head, with yellow spots on her carapace.IMG_9710.jpgIMG_9702.jpgIMG_9711.jpg

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Did someone steal them out of your yard by any chance? Seems weird all three would escape. I’m sure you’re posting flyers locally and on CL but I wouldn’t discount someone you know stealing them.

JBF

5 Year Member
Did someone steal them out of your yard by any chance? Seems weird all three would escape. I’m sure you’re posting flyers locally and on CL but I wouldn’t discount someone you know stealing them.

I think they just escaped. We were working on the enclosure wall The other day, and may have loosened it. A 2 1/2 foot section was knocked over. I put up signs and posted on CL and all over local fb. Thank you for your reply. Uggh. I'm so sad!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Post flyers with a reward for each. Kids are out of school and they can help look. Beware of someone returning two or all three, hmmm... Probably still in the neighborhood just well hidden. With all the rain we’ve had, definitely check under flowering hibiscus bushes. The rain makes my RFs more active. Good luck, hope you find them. A fenced pen within a fence is always a good idea.

JBF

5 Year Member
They are attracted to red. The only one I ever had escape was captured again when he tried to break back in to his enclosure to eat some red hibiscus flowers.
Can you get some and pile them up in the yard?

Great advice. We live on about an acre...I put plates of strawberries every 25-50 yards this morning, but no luck. I'll add flowers and cranberry hibiscus leaves. Thank you!

JBF

5 Year Member
Post flyers with a reward for each. Kids are out of school and they can help look. Beware of someone returning two or all three, hmmm... Probably still in the neighborhood just well hidden. With all the rain we’ve had, definitely check under flowering hibiscus bushes. The rain makes my RFs more active. Good luck, hope you find them. A fenced pen within a fence is always a good idea.

Thanks so much. I bet the rain made them frisky. My friends helped put a bunch of flyers up, and we went door to door so people are on the look out. Good idea to have a back up fence!

JBF

5 Year Member

The out of school kids are definitely helpful! It has been big excitement for them around here!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Maybe put something big out there that's red to attract them. Like a red bucket, then put some food next to it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They don't know they've escaped anything.
They're out looking for food. Best of luck.
As you know, they're most active in the morning and right before dusk. They will be hiding when it's bright out.

JBF

5 Year Member
Just a thought, but the CRI is there so maybe if someone did find one or more they may end up with the CRI.

http://chelonianri.org/

Very good thought...and they are less than a Mile from our house. I called, but no answer. I went by and knocked on the door, but ended up just leaving a flyer at the door. I am so sad that I didn't visit this amazing resource, and to meet the irreplaceable Peter Pritchard before dementia took hold of him.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry they haven't turned up yet. I really hope you find them. Do you think theft was a possibility?