Lost: our 3 Red Foot Tortoises. Oviedo, FL

JBF

5 Year Member
I wanna know as well how they were found!

Someone saw my signs 1/3 mile away and saw her crossing the road off a bike trail that runs behind our house! I rushed to get her, then we all ran out searching for the others, hoping they were all on the move. We found another 15 min later closer to our house in the woods just off the trail. It was so thrilling!IMG_9815.jpgIMG_9817.jpg

JBF

5 Year Member
I wanna know as well how they were found!

Someone saw my signs and called when they saw her crossing a road 1/3 Mile away:) I got her, then went searching again for the others. My husband found her behind our house in woods next to the bike trail [emoji173]️
The guy refused the reward...so we will give it to the Chelonian Research Institute instead.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, you are sure lucky. Looking at the picture with all the shrubs and trees in the background, it's amazing you were able to even see them. congrats!!!!!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Happy upside...two RFs found
Still on the fence...looking for #3, you will find #3, positive thoughts!
Possible downside...everyone knows you have RFs,security.
I’ve never been in your position but your public outreach was necessary. For me, I like a low profile where nobody except my immediate neighbors know of my torts. I keep one of my game cameras trained on their pen. Won’t stop a thief but will at least ID them. Best of luck on #3.

JBF

5 Year Member
Aw, you are sure lucky. Looking at the picture with all the shrubs and trees in the background, it's amazing you were able to even see them. congrats!!!!!

Definitely a miracle!! And two, 1/3 mile apart! There is dense vegetation all around!

JBF

5 Year Member
They don't know they've escaped anything.
They're out looking for food. Best of luck.
As you know, they're most active in the morning and right before dusk. They will be hiding when it's bright out.

I didn't know that about most active times. Thank you! That's when they were found yesterday.

JBF

5 Year Member
Happy upside...two RFs found
Still on the fence...looking for #3, you will find #3, positive thoughts!
Possible downside...everyone knows you have RFs,security.
I’ve never been in your position but your public outreach was necessary. For me, I like a low profile where nobody except my immediate neighbors know of my torts. I keep one of my game cameras trained on their pen. Won’t stop a thief but will at least ID them. Best of luck on #3.

I know...I was worried about that. I'm going to delete a lot of posts after Aden is found. Maybe even get a critter cam. It is a pretty tight nit community and quiet street. But , still. We are adding a secondary fence around their 16x16 enclosure.

JBF

5 Year Member
I know...I was worried about that. I'm going to delete a lot of posts after Aden is found. Maybe even get a critter cam. It is a pretty tight nit community and quiet street. But , still. We are adding a secondary fence around their 16x16 enclosure.

What camera do you use?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They’re very active late in the day, but the best searching time is probably first thing when they’re less quick and just want a sunny spot for basking to warm up.

JBF

5 Year Member
This post has actualy motivated me to look into Microchipping my tort, or something like the tile tracker.

Yes...I hadn't heard about tile tracker. I know microchips in torts can be inconsistent, but better than nothing! I'll look into it!

JBF

5 Year Member
They’re very active late in the day, but the best searching time is probably first thing when they’re less quick and just want a sunny spot for basking to warm up.

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think @ZEROPILOT used a Tile tracker on his for while.
No
I placed bright, florescent paint marks on them.
Not that I advocate painting tortoises.
But they blend in to the yard in a flash and become invisible.
A bright yellow "X" stands out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes...lol we are a bit nuts. We walk around with long sticks to lift up bushes and search under brush. Luckily we have several very active media pages. I've got lots of people searching!
That's great.
It's also a good idea that your neighbors know about them being your pets for ANY future escapes.