Lost My Russian Tortoise 8/25... Worried Sick ... Any Advice Helps

DarwinsOwner

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi all,

I lost my buddy Darwin (Russian/male) two days ago, 8/25, in my backyard around 1 pm. I take him out most days for some exercise and sunshine since I usually keep him inside (I live in Mass, which gets pretty cold during the winter months) I must've looked away for no more than a minute and when I went back to check on him, he was gone!

I've been looking for two days straight.

What really concerns me is that I live in a heavily wooded area and it's incredibly possible he got under the fence and escaped into the woods. I've posted signs all over our neighborhood and at the state park across the street. I'm calling our town's (and surrounding town's) animal control today to see if they've heard anything.

I've scattered carrots around the yard (his favorite treat) and I've even been playing Russian tortoise mating squeaks on a loop out my window in hopes that he'll check out what's going on, but I'm losing hope. A lot of these threads are optimistic, as some people find their shelled buddies days, weeks, even months later! Or that they're never more than a mile or two away at most.

I guess I'm just asking if there's anything else I can do lure Darwin back home. Or find him.

Thanks for any help you guys may offer.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hmmm.... that's one heck of a situation. As the colder months come about... it's likely he will hibernate. I wish I had a solution for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's quite likely he has dug down into the earth, thinking about hibernating. They're very good at pushing the dirt behind them to cover up their path underground.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
There's a good chance he'll be basking in the early morning. This might be a good time to check, as he won't be running around or hiding.

Autumnangel33

United States
Aw I’m so sorry I hope you find him! I lost mine today for a short period of time and my heart sank. Can’t imagine losing her for days. Good luck! Try checking corners of your back yard

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh boy! I've lost my Russian twice. Once for 12 days and once for 3. It's awful. So it sounds like you're making good efforts. I also posted on a site called Nextdoor which is a neighborhood social media website. That is ultimately how I got him back. Do you have that where you live?

Another thing I did was to talk to an organization that sets up "hunts" for dogs and trains them to track. They hooked me up with a woman who has a prize winning tracker. The dog sniffed my torts bedding and then seemed to be on the trail. Alas it didn't pan out but I thought it was worth the try. ( I should mention that the dog was well trained to not kill or harass the animal, just to find it).
Definitely look in the mornings when your tort will need to bask in the sun.

I have a wooded area very near to my house too and I had the same fear. If it's any consolation my tort went away from the woods both times... maybe because he sensed that it was too shady and cool? Or maybe just luck.

Don't give up! But don't drive yourself mad either. Ugh my heart goes out to you... I know the feeling too well.

TLG

Corona, CA.
Hi all,

I lost my buddy Darwin (Russian/male) two days ago, 8/25, in my backyard around 1 pm. I take him out most days for some exercise and sunshine since I usually keep him inside (I live in Mass, which gets pretty cold during the winter months) I must've looked away for no more than a minute and when I went back to check on him, he was gone!

What really concerns me is that I live in a heavily wooded area and it's incredibly possible he got under the fence and escaped into the woods. I've posted signs all over our neighborhood and at the state park across the street. I'm calling our town's (and surrounding town's) animal control today to see if they've heard anything.

I've scattered carrots around the yard (his favorite treat) and I've even been playing Russian tortoise mating squeaks on a loop out my window in hopes that he'll check out what's going on, but I'm losing hope. A lot of these threads are optimistic, as some people find their shelled buddies days, weeks, even months later! Or that they're never more than a mile or two away at most.

I guess I'm just asking if there's anything else I can do lure Darwin back home. Or find him.

Good luck finding your tortoise. I know how awful it is to lose one!
Hi all,

cinman

Maine
Any luck finding Darwin? I recently lost my beloved Russian, Doug and I live in Maine with the same issues such as incoming cold and wooded areas. Just curious on if you ever found Darwin or if you had any tips on how I should look for Doug. Thanks!

DarwinsOwner

Massachusetts
Any luck finding Darwin? I recently lost my beloved Russian, Doug and I live in Maine with the same issues such as incoming cold and wooded areas. Just curious on if you ever found Darwin or if you had any tips on how I should look for Doug. Thanks!

Hi, first I’m so sorry you lost Doug. Darwin is still at large unfortunately. I’ve read stories of tortoises being found months, even years after they leave, even after hard winters, so I still hold onto some hope. I tried a lot of stuff, even projecting mating sounds into the woods In my backyard. Best of luck though, hope you find your friend!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Try putting his hide in the yard, he may go to it. I'm betting you will see him again...along with any other ones that hear the mating call lol.

Best of luck.