Lost my Hermann

Help my 2 year old Hermann tortoise Templeton escaped from his outside inclosure whilst I wasnt there and I've been looking for him with my parents for an hour but it began to get dark so we had to leave it. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny here so should I expect him to come out maybe, is there anything I can do? My Garden has lots and lots of plants and my mum is a gardener too, we live in Norfolk if helps?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Top tip. When the sun comes out look for the "hot spots". The sheltered places in the sun where your tort will come to warm up.

Put some irresistible treats in sunny places too. A few pieces of tomato or strawberry will be hard for your tort to resist!

Good luck!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Let us know how you get on.

Check your garden boundaries for possible escape routes to places beyond your garden.

Typically Joe is emerging to warm up around 7.30-8am at the moment.

I had Joe microchipped after a scare like this... The one off payment for "whole of life" cover is a bargain as a tort can live for 50 years or more! That way he can be traced back to us if someone does find him.

Thankyou, I've been out here since 7:30 and so far nothing but i'll keep looking. Would Templeton be more likely to be found on the edges of the grass and flower beds or deep inside bushes?

mike thornton

Kauai
I'd think he'd be hidden pretty well best chance would be when he's out in the sun looking for food and they may seem slow but can cover more ground than you'd think so give your self a wide area keep us posted

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Gabriella Elia Just so you don't panic. Joe has had a lie in this morning despite the early warmth here in Kent. He is only just starting to stir. He will be out in the next half hour to bask I think.

It's very sunny here too, Templeton is pretty lazy so wherever he is he's probably just sitting there. I've put out the strawberries on the boarders and hoping for the best.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
WE FOUND HIM, He was under a small-ish plant. Thankyou for all of your help and support! He probably came out for some sunshine and got halfway because he was very close to the boarder. Thankyou all so much again!

:) yaaassss!!!! so glad you're little one was found :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
WE FOUND HIM, He was under a small-ish plant. Thankyou for all of your help and support! He probably came out for some sunshine and got halfway because he was very close to the boarder. Thankyou all so much again!
@gabriella Ella I am so happy for you :)

Congratulations.

Now for working out how to prevent further escapes.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Glad to have just read that you found your tort! Take care and make sure he does not escape again.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yep we've secured his inclosure, the problem was that the clips had fallen offf've the corner so it was open which meant that Templeton just wandered through. But now we've tightly secured all of the corners with rope so there is no way he can escape :D
Well done, and take care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What a relief, so pleased for you.