Lost male Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
Hi from Wyoming. I have joined the forum for an unhappy reason; my Russian Tortoise (Toby) wandered away from me about 5 days ago, and I have been unable to find him. I have had him for 1 1/2 years, and I'm guessing he is probably 2 - 2 1/2 years old. I am devastated and heartbroken. I have a grassy yard, and live on 100 acres most of which is pasture land with yucca, cactus, and sage brush. When you imagine all the places he could be hiding, its pretty overwhelming. I look for him several hours every day. My husband has suggested we get a female RT and perhaps this would lure him back. Any chances of this working? I have been putting out plates of food, but so far it is going untouched. Of course there is plenty to eat this time of year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just want my little guy back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) So sorry to hear you lost your tort. I do think a female might help, however, they will have to be separated once he is found or add two females for him in a very large enclosure with lots of sight barriers and hiding places. Keep looking. He will most likely show up. Be sure to also put posters up of him being lost incase someone finds him, they will no where he belongs. Good luck, keep us posted.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome hope you find him soon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry about Toby, but welcome to the Forum!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Sorry to hear that. When I lose one I get up early when the sub is starting to warm up the ground. That is when they come out - to warm themselves. That's how I always find mine. Good luck!!!

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Thanks, everyone. I have been getting up early every morning and searching for a few hours, but no luck. I have heard they typically don't go too far, but since we are out in the country I worry that he will just keep walking and get further and further away. I'm not sure I want to get a female RT, because if that doesn't lure Toby back, I would just be sad having one that isn't Toby. Does that make sense?
Would he be attracted to any other tortoise breed?

jeffstort

5 Year Member
Yes I lost my rt once and was thinking about luring him back with a female but then thought the same as you but I luckily found him the next day and I really hope you find it's really heart breaking I wish I could walk over there and help loo

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's really sad news. Personally, I would be out putting strawberries in the best sunbathing spots as the lure of red sweet fruit is something they find hard to resist. Unfortunately Russuans roam large distances in the wild, so he could be some distance away by now. I suggest a poster/awareness. campaign locally in case someone else finds him too. Good luck

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Im so sorry you are going through this... The good news is that in the area you are describing he could probably survive quite nicely for awhile. Russians are tough little torts. As someone else said the morning sunbathing is always going to happen. Once it gets to warm he will go back to hiding.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I won't stop looking for him. Ever. I have been getting up early every morning and spending a few hours combing the pasture. In the wild do they just roam aimlessly, or do they come back? I'm going to head to the grocery store in a few minutes to get strawberries. :) Thanks for the well wishes, I sure hope I can find him....I will keep you all posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.