Lost Golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greekgolden

Last Sunday I put my golden out in her enclosure outside to get some sun. Well she got out and I can't find her. Can goldens get through a Southern California winter here? it can get down to 30 degrees here. I've looked everywhere even the neighbors. I hope the smoke didn't make her try harder to get out. My yard is totally fenced, I think she may of barried herself somewhere.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Central WI
I would think she burried herself...dig around , carefully , shrubs and such.
Good luck I know how heart breaking it is to loose a tort..Ive found mine after a while.

G

greekgolden

Ok I'll keep looking, I feel so irresponsible for not making sure she could'nt get out. We had such high winds, my husband took some of the bricks from her enclosure to put on the spa cover.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
greekgolden said:
Ok I'll keep looking, I feel so irresponsible for not making sure she could'nt get out. We had such high winds, my husband took some of the bricks from her enclosure to put on the spa cover.
Try digging very carefully around the roots of plants too,this is a place they usually prefer to dig down.Check in and around any pots,look for disturbed soil areas too.

G

greekgolden

ok, I just went out again put gloves on so I could move dirt & leaves around. To bad my dog does'nt have much of a nose (pug) he could of help me find her. All he waits is the tort poop, gross.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Would it work to put out a warming light and a hide with some favorite foods?
Could the Golden"sense" the warmth and seek it out?

G

greekgolden

I put out food but the only thing eating the food is a rat.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Remember torts wake to bask then go hunting for food. So waking are looking for him early is a good idea.
I once lost a 5 inch Russian ...I got up at 7am to look for her and found her munching on some dandilions right outside the pen.....I had looked high and low for her for like 4 hours the night before.. I bawled myself to sleep all worried , and here the little stinker was very close the whole time.

I hope you find him/her

G

greekgolden

Tracy,
Oh that makes me feel so much better, I'll will keep the food out. I miss her so much ,she is such a good tort very friendly & she is wild caught. Since our fires I've seen many new hawks in our neighborhood so I hope during that short time outside nothing happen to her.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
greekgolden said:
Tracy,
Oh that makes me feel so much better, I'll will keep the food out. I miss her so much ,she is such a good tort very friendly & she is wild caught. Since our fires I've seen many new hawks in our neighborhood so I hope during that short time outside nothing happen to her.

good luck! Our guy wakes up at 4:30 MN time...maybe set your alarm clock...;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Greekgolden,
My greeks like to hide under shrubs and well under anything they can squeeze under. They have never dug deep like a hole they just seem to scoot so the dirt hids most of the shell. It is amazing how they can find places to blend into. I would try the heat lamp in a area it can feel like its hiding in and put out that food. I found mine the other day standing on her back feet in a corner reaching for a sunny spot.
Good luck. Prayers are with you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Try watering the area.. if she dug herself down, she may come up if it gets too wet. but be prepared to have a nice warm place to put her right away!

Status
Not open for further replies.