Lost 2 Three toed box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
fbsmith3 said:
Well, I found one of my Three toed box turtles. She was sitting in the corner of my yard sunning herself. Once I saw her she walked over to me. Very strange.

I have to rebuild the enclosure, I believe they use a hosta to use as a latter. I transplanted it to the center of the enclosure and now I am installing an overhang in case the did scale the concrete.

Thank you all for your encouragement and help.

I can't believe you just posted this. Every day I would find one of mine outside of the turtle garden. (Even if they got out of the turtle garden, they still couldn't go anywhere as the garden is surrounded by a planter with high edges). I finally caught one of them climbing on top of the hosta and getting over the over-hang. I've moved it towards the middle now and make sure there are no plants near the edge of the garden. I'm so happy you found one. I'm sure you will find the other one soon.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I'm glad to hear that you found one of yours. Shelly is an escape artist if there is a way out she usually finds it.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
My wife had some 5 foot tall "deer netting" worked fine, but only covered 3/4 of the enclosure. Went out and bought more, but it was 7 feet tall and much softer, but where they overlap they blend perfect. Right now no one is getting in or out.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Congratulations! Hope you find the other one soon. Is it possible for it to have escaped your yard?

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
There is always a chance she left the yard, but very small. We do not trim the weeds around the edges because the lawn mower can't get there. I am systematically ripping up all the weeds with my hands. The first one, Cleo, was not in the weeds, I had pulled up a bunch looked to my left and she was on the grass staring at me. I think she wanted her veggies, she was probably eating bugs and worms the whole time she had escaped.

The whole time I was "fixing" the enclosure Cleo followed me around, she usually naps during the middle of the day. She kept following me around for several hours until I had finished what I could. She only took a nap when I left to eat lunch.

As for the Hosta, I'm proud of it, it got so huge and makes a great hiding spot. I hope she likes it where I moved it as much as she did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.