Loss of appetite

rexsmumrowan

Hi all,

My horsefield, Rex has started to act very strangely. Rex is supposedly under a year and when we got him in May he was already pyramiding.

For the last two weeks, he has not been eating. Sometimes he will eat from my hand, but he normally just ignores it. This is so out of character for him as he normally eats very well.

I have tried weeds (dandelions), lettuce, rocket, cucumber, literally everything on the lists posted!

I am still bathing him every other day. HImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438856226.117169.jpge doesn't wake up easily either. He used to march straight out to his light as soon as it went on. Now he doesn't at all unless I move him.

The heat in the UK at the moment is high so not under his light, his enclosure is about 20 degrees c and under the light it is 35. Could his change in behaviour be because of the heat?

Since the attached picture of his enclosure, we have changed the bedding to coconut soil.

Any tips? I am so worried about him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438856293.197547.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you giving him warm water soaks? Are you providing humidity? How are you reading the temperatures throughout the enclosure and could you please post a photo of your bulb? Is it a UVA bulb or just for heat?

rexsmumrowan

Are you giving him warm water soaks? Are you providing humidity? How are you reading the temperatures throughout the enclosure and could you please post a photo of your bulb? Is it a UVA bulb or just for heat?

Warm water soaks for about 20 minutes every other day, I have a temperature probe with two probes - one in his bed and one by the light. The soil is sprayed with water however I have been advised by a reptile vet to not keep him too humidified as he is a horsefield. UVA bulb. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for UV?

Contrary to popular belief, horsfieldii DO benefit from moderate humidity, just like any other species. Can they survive the bone dry conditions typically found in an open topped indoor enclosure? Sure. That doesn't mean they "need" it dry, or that dry is "good" for them.

That substate you are using is bad for tortoises. It is a bad idea to encourage a tortoise to eat its substrate to meet its calcium needs. THey tend to like to eat little white bits in the soil, so its possible your tortoise is becoming impacted. Daily soaks and feeding some aloe or cactus pads may help if this is the case.

Your temperatures sound good.

rexsmumrowan

Contrary to popular belief, horsfieldii DO benefit from moderate humidity, just like any other species. Can they survive the bone dry conditions typically found in an open topped indoor enclosure? Sure. That doesn't mean they "need" it dry, or that dry is "good" for them.

That substate you are using is bad for tortoises. It is a bad idea to encourage a tortoise to eat its substrate to meet its calcium needs. THey tend to like to eat little white bits in the soil, so its possible your tortoise is becoming impacted. Daily soaks and feeding some aloe or cactus pads may help if this is the case.

Hey - thanks for this :)

Only problem about feeding him some aloe is he won't eat anything. The problem is that I cannot get him to eat.

I have been recommended the coco stuff by so many people on this forum - I was told to get rid of the pellets and get that - what do you recommend instead?

The open topped isn't bone dry - I do spray it every morning and by the evening there is still moisture in the soil

rexsmumrowan

Also the UV bulb is one I ordered from a tortoise store - it is the one I was recommended on here and by the vet :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Which bulb is it? Pet stores give advice based on what they can sell, and vets often don't know about routine care. Following their advice is no guarantee. Some bulbs are actually damaging.

How old is the bulb? If it's time for a fresh one, let's make sure you've got the best one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV bulb is it?

The best substrate for russians are coco coir for little ones like yours and orchid bark for older ones.

rexsmumrowan

What type of UV bulb is it?

The best substrate for russians are coco coir for little ones like yours and orchid bark for older ones.
I have the coco coir bark in there at the moment. I can't find the box but here is a pic - it is about 2 months oldImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438971397.537256.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438971426.773335.jpg he ate perfectly up until about two weeks ago and the type of bulb hasn't changed so I don't think this would be a part of his issue. I really did my research on the bulb - open to all suggestions though

rexsmumrowan

Which bulb is it? Pet stores give advice based on what they can sell, and vets often don't know about routine care. Following their advice is no guarantee. Some bulbs are actually damaging.

How old is the bulb? If it's time for a fresh one, let's make sure you've got the best one.
Hey - I can't find the box but I attached some pics in the previous response. It is only two months old and I really did my research on the bulb. I spent about £60 on it :) he ate perfectly up until about two weeks ago and the type of bulb hasn't changed so I don't think this would be a part of his issue. I really did my research on the bulb and his soil

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem with "research" is that everyone you talk to will say something different. Many vets, pet stores and breeders still recommend cfl type UV bulbs. We see cases of burned eyeballs here on the forum all the time, and it seems that some people just don't realize there is a problem. Looks like you are using a mercury vapor bulb, which should be fine.

Same with that substrate in your pic. Over in the UK that stuff with the limestone bits in it is all the rage, but it makes no sense. Tortoises eat little white bits in the soil all the time. Tortoises get calcium craving sometimes. Why on earth would anyone want to encourage their tortoise to eat the substrate like that? Its crazy, but they sell bag after bag of the stuff, and if your do your "research" at a place that uses or sells that stuff, they will tell you it is great. It isn't.

My best guess here is that your tortoise has been eating that stuff or the pellets you are using in the substrate and he is impacted. If the poop can't get out, they frequently won't try to take any more food in. The dryness of housing him in an open table makes it worse, if this is what is happening.

My advice remains unchanged:
1. Higher humidity. This will be difficult to accomplish with an open top.
2. Daily soaks for an hour, if needed. Keep the water warm.
3. Change that substrate and keep the new substrate damp. Misting the top layer does nothing but cause evaporative cooling. THe substrate needs to be thick and the lowers layers need to be damp.

If this is not your issue, doing these things will hurt nothing.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It can take a long time before problems become evident. Everything seems fine until suddenly things are not fine at all. Sometimes things really are fine and then they suddenly change. Sometimes the problem was hidden and quietly growing. What I'm saying is that the lack of problems in the past says little or nothing about the present or future. Assume nothing. That's still how I operate aftermost 40 years.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If the tortoise is impacted, then his soaks will show little or no excrement. For a tort that is not eating a long soak in a big flat container will help the tort get exercise and stimulate the bowel movement. Some will use a kiddie pool or a bath tub. Sanitize container after use. It is also beneficial to get some outdoor time for sunlight and exercise. Guard against escape!