Losing weight

zbarry

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I was wondering if its normal for russian tortoises to lose weight in warmer months. My russian has lost 59 grams since April. I live in Ohio so I have been letting him stay outside and adventure around the yard when I'm home to watch him since its warmer, so I dont know if his increased activity is why he is losing weight. But then he has also started to slow down eating, do they tend to eat less during the warmer seasons? I was feeding him frozen vegetables that I boiled to make warm again and he would eat them all happily, but lately he hasnt been interested ive tried giving him kale, romaine, and mazuri and he doesnt go for any of that. He does however love eating dandelions and always goes for them.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
from what I have read they can aestivate(like hibernating but in the warmth) during the warm months. Is he less active and sleeping?

zbarry

Ohio
from what I have read they can aestivate(like hibernating but in the warmth) during the warm months. Is he less active and sleeping?
Yes and no when I put him outside he is all over the place but when he's inside he is just digging in his substrate and sleeping. The room he stays in is my bedroom which is upstairs and is always warm.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
My new Russian is doing the same thing. So I lowered his temps inside and he is a little more active but not eating well.