Losing scales on legs?

tinkthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, I have an 11 year old Russian tortoise and it seems like his scales are flaking off on his legs? I'm not sure if this is anything to worry about but when I saw it I was concerned. He's still eating and drinking as normal and is still just as grumpy! Just wanted to make sure everything's okay. I can attach pictures if needed, thank you in advance!

KronksMom

Illinois
Yes, pictures would definitely help. Also, does he come in contact with any other animals? Other tortoises or cats or dogs, lizards, anything like that?

tinkthetortoise

Uk
He doesn't come into contact with anyone or anything but me. Thank you for replying so quick! Apologises for them being a bit blurry, he's too quick. Also this may be normal and I'm just being dramatic but better to be safe than sorry I know.

A02E8CFD-9A5F-46AF-A7FF-C34BBB177E30.pngF86E7812-682B-4A87-B23C-060A05989B21.png19FB3D8C-FAFE-4CD2-8618-A3BDDEC84311.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That type of damage is sometimes caused by mice or rats. At any rate, it doesn't look bad - not raw or bleeding. Try to figure out if he's rubbing or scraping something.

tinkthetortoise

Uk

tinkthetortoise

Uk
That type of damage is sometimes caused by mice or rats. At any rate, it doesn't look bad - not raw or bleeding. Try to figure out if he's rubbing or scraping something.
Okay that's a relief thank you, it's never bled before that I'm aware of and I spend a lot of time with him. He does like to charge up and down his vivarium and there's a little hole in the glass - he may have caught it on that. He'll be coming out a lot more now anyway as the weather is getting nicer so hopefully he won't be charging as much. Thank you for replying!