Losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllieN

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
Did you give him the Mazuri dry? If so, try soaking a few pellets in water for a few minutes until they soften up. My Puck likes it a lot more wet. Maybe Tank will find it more tempting that way, too.

Sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Benny loves Mazuri as long as its mushy from a warm soak, sometimes mixing in some clover gets him going too
Hope Tank keeps going on the path to full recovery.
Did they give you an estimate on when they might be able to remove the tube. Having had one myself, I can tell you they are no party. Feels awful.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Yesterday was a good day for Tank! He pooped more and he actually ate what I would call a significant amount of food. He ate some Mazuri that I made soggy as some have suggested. He was liking it so much that he stayed out there the whole time the sprinklers were on. :)

I believe that he can have the tube removed once he is eating regularly on his own. I will be pretty nervous to get it removed because it has helped so much. But I really don't like seeing it in him.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373027938.769100.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373027949.202766.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

schuyler22

5 Year Member
This is great news!!! Slow and steady wins the race!!!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using TortForum mobile app

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Tank has been eating more regularly now. Yesterday he almost ate an entire bag of store-bought greens! He had some diarrhea a few hours after that though. This morning I gave him some mustard greens. He started eating them but he does not like them so he didn't eat much. I gave him a couple small pieces of watermelon and he devoured those! He will be getting the tube taken out on Thursday! He has been very loving since he has gotten sick. He welcomes all pets on his head, neck and chin. When he is done with his morning routine he will come up on the patio and sit in front of the sliding glass door and when I open it he will come inside and walk to wherever he wants to take a nap. I didn't know how awesome their personalities can be!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373389265.068450.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373389278.484445.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373389343.951034.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373389354.334064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vickie

5 Year Member
Such a nice looking tortoise and so good to here he is on the mends! I will send some prayers your way that he keeps improving. :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow I haven't been on for a time and glad to read this entire post at one time. Kudos you have a great vet, and so nice to see Tank eat something. Hopefully the hard part is past.. Positive thoughts out to you and Tank!!! Thanks for taking the time to post and to post pics.It makes us all feel like we are there with you!
Nay

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Tank got his tube out today! They didn't have to put him out for it because he was a good boy and let them have access to it. The hole should heal up in a week or 2. He seems pretty happy. I think it was all the good vibes from everyone on this forum. You guys really are the best! :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
ainfalt said:
Tank got his tube out today! They didn't have to put him out for it because he was a good boy and let them have access to it. The hole should heal up in a week or 2. He seems pretty happy. I think it was all the good vibes from everyone on this forum. You guys really are the best! :)

What great news!!! Awesome, so happy for you both.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Well I'm not really sure what is going on now. Tank seems lethargic again. He was eating so well but the last couple days he hasn't been interested. He was having diarrhea after he got the tube pulled so I had the vet check a stool sample. No parasites but he put tank on flagyl. I haven't been able to give it to him because he won't eat. Not even a strawberry. Sometimes he attempts to take a bite but it seems like he is too weak. I'm beginning to think he has failure to thrive. I dont know what else I can do for him. After spending $1300 at the vet it is not an option anymore. :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just hold him and try to hand feed him. Keep him warm and love on him. If he's going, just let him know he's loved. Who knows, he may just respond positively. Sometimes, you can do everything right but the lil guy just won't make it. I'll pray for you both.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Just hold him and try to hand feed him. Keep him warm and love on him. If he's going, just let him know he's loved. Who knows, he may just respond positively. Sometimes, you can do everything right but the lil guy just won't make it. I'll pray for you both.

I've been sitting outside with him as much as I can and when he is in the house I am with him there. He's about 30 lbs so holding him is difficult. I make sure to give him lots of love. He was really loving me hand feeding him romain which is his favorite. He wouldn't eat anything else for the past week. But he won't even eat that now. Thank you for the prayers and support. Tomorrow is a new day and I pray that he is feeling better.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If he is still on the Flagyl, is it causing him to go off of his food? (it usually give humans stomach side effects)
Or have you stopped that?

Gosh, you have worked so hard for him. No one could have done more...

Status
Not open for further replies.