Looking to treat my Tort!!!

Anthony32

I love my Russian tortoise so much He is an adult and want to give him a special meal/treat

I have tried a strawberry twice but he did not touch it while or cut up

I ordered prickly Pear cactus pads 5 of them and he barely touch them I gave one whole one sliced and one cut into cubes all twice and nothing

I gave him some roman lettuce a few months back and he went crazy on it but tried a few more times and he ate some

Would not touch a apple sliced or cubed

I change up his greens weekly he really likes the organic spring mix he does okay with the kale and collard greens he eat the the dandelion leaves but now he kind of just picks at them

He has eaten all the aloe I give him but I only have a small plant to take from

I would really like to give him a meal/treat he would go wild over once in a while please help looking to treat my tort!!!!!

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Well from my experience its tomatoes for mine, I can hide a cherry tomato in his food and he will find it, once I was holding him to move him to his food dish to show him the treat and while in the air he started munching!!! (and he doesn't like being picked up)
My cousins Russian doesn't care for tomatoes, but loves cucumber slice treats.
Nank also goes crazy over carrot shredding treats over his food sometimes.
hibiscus flowers in the summer are also a hit, but those are more in the diet than any other treat would be for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most tortoises will not just walk up and eat "foods" that they are unfamiliar with. He cactus pads are good for them, but it will take a while for your tortoise to accept it as food. Start by finely mincing some cactus and mixing a very small amount in with more familiar foods.

All of that other stuff you mentioned is not good for him. They don't need "treats". They need a good nutritious high fiber diet. For a treat get some African Hibiscus seeds and grow those for him. All of my tortoises go crazy for it, but it is still a good food.

Appetite is often related to the temperature and lighting. What are your four temperature? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low.

Anthony32

Temp has been good that's not an issue......I like the idea of a treat I'll have to look into hibiscus

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine love squash blooms and fruit. Also, tried small amounts of bell peppers but they have not seem to go nuts for them. They both love mazuri. I give it twice a week to add to their diet.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It's also true my Franklin used to be fed quite a lot of tomato before he came to me, so he knows that as food and goes literally crazy so me must "like" them, I just pop the whole little one on his dish, after rolling around a little he chomps into it, but you could always cut it in half of you so chose.
I don't even know the last time he got a tomato! I think it was early summer when our plants started growing them. Makes it all the more fun when he gets it :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Mine love squash blooms and fruit. Also, tried small amounts of bell peppers but they have not seem to go nuts for them. They both love mazuri. I give it twice a week to add to their diet.
I wish Franklin liked mazuri he sniffs it then glares at me... Even though I mix it with greens!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temp has been good that's not an issue

This sentence in your original post made me think he was losing appetite and not eating well: "
I change up his greens weekly he really likes the organic spring mix he does okay with the kale and collard greens he eat the the dandelion leaves but now he kind of just picks at them"

Sorry. I must have misunderstood.

Anthony32

This sentence in your original post made me think he was losing appetite and not eating well: "
I change up his greens weekly he really likes the organic spring mix he does okay with the kale and collard greens he eat the the dandelion leaves but now he kind of just picks at them"

Sorry. I must have misunderstood.
All good no worries I'll have to try that hibiscus

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I definitely recommend getting a Hibiscus plant -- this can be a grand addition to your garden as well as a tasty tortoise treat! Even if you live farther north like me, there are certain species of Hibiscus that can withstand cooler temps, like the Hibiscus syriacus or Hibiscus moscheutos; I have both in my backyard and the flowers are one of my tortoise's favorites! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pumpkin is usually a hit

Clunk

These guys are definitely picky eaters and it's hard to change their diet once they grow accustomed to something they like. It's odd that yours didn't take to the strawberries as this has been the one food mine will always eat no matter what. I've also read that sweet stuff isn't good for russians and should be fed sparingly if at all. I haven't given mine strawberries in a while and instead offer him apple slices about once a month. Otherwise he enjoys his regular diet of romaine lettuce, dandelions and timothy hay. I mix in mustard greens occasionally and kale (for its calcium content) but not too often because I notice they makes his droppings loose and runny.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Sometimes Opuntia cactus (without spines) or cucumber can be a good treat to help stimulate dietary changes. :)