Looking to remove two Russian tortoises in Chicago, Illinois

Ainfante

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I have two Russian Tortoises, female and male that I originally got from Petsmart. I am looking to rehome them.
They are doing well. The female is much larger than the male. I want them to go together since they have been together from day one.
If interested, please email me.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have two Russian Tortoises, female and male that I originally got from Petsmart. I am looking to rehome them.
They are doing well. The female is much larger than the male. I want them to go together since they have been together from day one.
If interested, please email me.
They should not be together since it can cause fighting and stress.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Well I didn’t know that, they seem to be OK they are not fighting and I’ve had them since 2018. I’d like them to go to a bed home together.
Is there ever any fighting or stress? You are lucky you have had them that long together with no signs of illness, or death.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you find them a new home please advise the new owners to not keep them together. There is no question there is stress and the Male will try to breed the female to illness or death. Tortoises, specially russians, should never be housed in pairs.

Ainfante

Chicago
If you find them a new home please advise the new owners to not keep them together. There is no question there is stress and the Male will try to breed the female to illness or death. Tortoises, specially russians, should never be housed in pairs.
Ok. My male doesn’t even try to breed or does he even bother with her. I’ve had them 3 years and nothing of the sorts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok. My male doesn’t even try to breed or does he even bother with her. I’ve had them 3 years and nothing of the sorts.
How old are they?
Even though you haven't seen any obvious bullying, it's usually always brought on when people change enclosures or environments. So rehoming them still wouldnt be good for them to be together.
Believe me, its stressful for them to always have a tortoise in their territory. Unless they are totally stress to some other reason and have not yet shown it to each other.
Do them a favor and advise any new owner to not house them together. Its proven over and over by much more experience tortoise keepers that tortoises should not be housed in pairs, specially russians.

Ainfante

Chicago
How old are they?
Even though you haven't seen any obvious bullying, it's usually always brought on when people change enclosures or environments. So rehoming them still wouldnt be good for them to be together.
Believe me, its stressful for them to always have a tortoise in their territory. Unless they are totally stress to some other reason and have not yet shown it to each other.
Do them a favor and advise any new owner to not house them together. Its proven over and over by much more experience tortoise keepers that tortoises should not be housed in pairs, specially russians.
Thank you. I will. I am willing then to adopt them out separately. It’s not that I don’t want to care for them. I have a lot going on with my health and I think this is the best.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thank you. I will. I am willing then to adopt them out separately. It’s not that I don’t want to care for them. I have a lot going on with my health and I think this is the best.
I am so glad that you are willing to place your tortoises’ well being above all else. It takes great humility and caring to realize that an animal could receive better care with someone else. I commend you for your thoughtful discernment and decision. I wish more people could have your wisdom.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Ainfante, Well, it sounds like they can be adopted out together and I can understand your feelings for that, BUT they must be kept in seperate enclosures.

dbrand

Sheridan
Here is a photo of them
I have to respond here after reading the responses because we have had a male and female Russian tortoises together for three years and I have to disagree with the talk of stress and fighting. The male does once in a while "pester" the female but she can hold her own and if she isn't interested she will bat him away and separate. If she is interested, she will respond. There are no signs of stress, both are healthy and good eaters and if they want to be alone, they separate on their own. Their habitat is large enough that they can be away from each other. But more often than not, they will snuggle and burrow and sleep together. We had the female alone at first for several months and it seems that since we got the male they are much happier together.

Ainfante

Chicago
I have to respond here after reading the responses because we have had a male and female Russian tortoises together for three years and I have to disagree with the talk of stress and fighting. The male does once in a while "pester" the female but she can hold her own and if she isn't interested she will bat him away and separate. If she is interested, she will respond. There are no signs of stress, both are healthy and good eaters and if they want to be alone, they separate on their own. Their habitat is large enough that they can be away from each other. But more often than not, they will snuggle and burrow and sleep together. We had the female alone at first for several months and it seems that since we got the male they are much happier together.
Thank you for posting this. My tortoises are happy together. Exactly what you posted is my experience. Thank you!