Looking to confirm sex of tortoise

Mich

5 Year Member
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdmrpgxgyeirdyb/Screenshot_2015-07-14-20-43-25.png?dl=0

I've been told this is a male and although it may seem obvious by the concave shell and triangular shaped scutes I'm still nervous enough to ask for opinions please (I've never had to sex a tortoise before). It's an 8yr old leopard tortoise approximately 9" long.

Unfortunately I wasn't given any tail pictures. I want to be sure before I travel a long distance to go see it in person.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-14-20-43-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-14-20-43-25.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 35

Mich

5 Year Member
I know but I don't have a tail shot. Apparently he was forever trying to mount their red foot tortoise. Do females ever try to do that as a display of dominance?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This tortoise cannot be sexed from this picture. Sorry.

If it had access to a RF, I hope you are prepared for a lengthy quarantine period and a lot of diagnostic testing with a good tortoise vet. We're talking 12 months quarantine minimum here.

Mich

5 Year Member
Well I'm looking at two strikes right now. One, no tail shot...and two my herp vet is no longer in the city *sigh* Apparently he's been gone for awhile but I hadn't realized because thankfully I hardly ever need him and I take my dog to a regular/closer vet. It took me years to find a knowledgeable vet, all the rest only have basic knowledge that you could obtain with a google search.

The RF and Leo had been housed together since hatchlings apparently but the RF was rehomed about six months ago. Leopard tortoises are extremely rare here aside from the scarce sickly hatchling. For the huge cost, travel, gender gamble and health risks I just dont know. In four years of sesrching though this is the ONLY possible male I've ever seen available. Drat.

Mich

5 Year Member
Ok so apparently I'll be getting further pics tonight including tail shots!! I'll post them when I get them. I appreciate your help guys thank you!!!

Mich

5 Year Member
Not the brightest pic but I think it looks like a nice thick long tail :)

Attachments

• 1436995516347.jpg
    1436995516347.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Agreed. Male for sure.

If he's still healthy 6 months after the RF is gone and he's been alone all that time with no contact with other tortoises, that is a good sign.

Where is "here"?

Mich

5 Year Member
Here is Ontario Canada
Thanks for the help guys! Now to find a new vet darn it.