Looking to build an indoor enclosure for marginated tortoise

CylonSurfer

So I see a lot of folk using plastic containers of one type or another and stumbled across this:

https://www.primrose.co.uk/380l-rectangular-plastic-reservoir-149cm-79cm-p-91067.html?cPath=22_9136

My tortoise is about 3.5 years old so it seems a decent size for him and I'd want it to last a good few years at least. My plan would be to build a wooden frame the reservoir would sit in so it could be removed for cleaning etc, the frame would then be covered with some ply boarding so I can then stick some vinyl adhesive tiles to the exterior for aesthetics.

I then plan to attach some background pieces to the interior of the reservoir above the substrate level to provide a more natural look inside of the habitat, such as:

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/lucky-reptile--background-celta-98x48-cm-1454-p.asp

I'd want to then plant out the habitat and provide a few hides in various locations and perhaps some sort of small rocky outcrop as marginateds are a mountain species and mine loves to climb and I guess it would serve as a good source of exercise and natural claw trimmer...

So a couple of quick questions if someone has a little time to reply:

- What do you think of the plastic reservoir. It's the largest I could find, is it large enough? Is it safe?

- Does anyone have any experience with background pieces such as the one I linked, are they safe?

- When it comes to planting can anyone recommend any suitable safe plants? I'd initially be adding some spider plants and was thinking of a bosten fern. Any tips on securing pots? My tort loves to climb up on top and tip them by rocking with his hind legs until they tip over like they're some sort of amusement park ride.

- My current enclosure is much smaller than this, so I'll need new lighting. UV isn't a problem, I'll purchase a new arcadia unit and tube bulb. But when it comes to basking and ensuring ambient temps are maintained throughout the enclosure I could do with some advice, i.e bulb types and the wattages needed to provide adequate temps in various parts of the enclosure in a typical warm to cooler gradient configuration.

- What are peoples thoughts on the idea on a whole?

Jschmid33

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsn
Seems like a great start! I am in the process of building a new enclosure myself. Have you thought about going closed chamber? This would making heating the enclosure much easier if you have a CHE on a thermostat and can keep a constant temp without losing much out the top. The tub should be safe no issue I have seem many use tubs for tortoise hatchling homes due to ease of use and cleaning. The backdrop although pretty makes me nervous seeing that its foam if the tortoise digs next to it and scrapes off some foam. might not be a good situation. I would go as big as you can, especially if you are looking to make some climbing features. you will loose roaming area very quickly. Just to give you an idea my redfoot is a year old and I am building a 5 foot by 3 foot by 30 inch tall enclosed chamber out of wood. It will have a custom cut 48x20 inch piece of glass in a frame that will hinge as a door to access the enclosure mounted on the front. Lights will be mounted on the ceiling on the inside of the enclosure and CHE will be on a thermostat. Take your time Im new on here but like everyone want the best for these amazing animals.

CylonSurfer

First off - thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

You mention closed chamber enclosures and that you own a Red Foot, my understanding is that RFs require a lot higher humidity levels than Marginateds which CC enclosures are better at providing. Would a CC enclosure not pose the same risks as a vivariums for species with lower humidity requirements? I was of the understanding that an open top 'tortoise table' type enclosures are more suited to Mediterranean species. Although I could be wrong. I'm also not sure about the transpartent window on the front as I've read that a tortoise that can 'see out' but not 'get out' can become very stressed. Again, only something I have read but a concern for me when considering CC enclosures.

Good point regarding the foam background - I'll be giving that a miss based on your feedback so thanks for the sanity check on that! I do however notice there are similar products made from cork - would they pose the same kinds of risks?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Jschmid33

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsn
First off - thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

You mention closed chamber enclosures and that you own a Red Foot, my understanding is that RFs require a lot higher humidity levels than Marginateds which CC enclosures are better at providing. Would a CC enclosure not pose the same risks as a vivariums for species with lower humidity requirements? I was of the understanding that an open top 'tortoise table' type enclosures are more suited to Mediterranean species. Although I could be wrong. I'm also not sure about the transpartent window on the front as I've read that a tortoise that can 'see out' but not 'get out' can become very stressed. Again, only something I have read but a concern for me when considering CC enclosures.

Good point regarding the foam background - I'll be giving that a miss based on your feedback so thanks for the sanity check on that! I do however notice there are similar products made from cork - would they pose the same kinds of risks?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
I apologize about the late reply. Busy with the family. Cork wood would be much safer in my opinion! I hve a piece of cork wood my redfoot likes to walk around on. I am having a wall about 7 inches high where the glass door will be. My hope is even though she will be able to see out the wall will be too tall for her to get stressed about trying to get out. I would read into your specific species needs for humidity in such cases. Maybe a open top would be best suited for you! You could keep humidity lower in closed chamber by not misting or adding water to substrate I just feel they are much more efficient for holding in heat. My closed chamber will have vents on each side 4 inches by 8 inches I can open and close as needed to help vent fresh air in without losing to much heat and humidity out the top.

Let me know if you get any other ideas or facts. I always am on the hunt to learn more

CylonSurfer

Well I've moved on from the plastic pond idea, I just couldn't find one large enough. I've settled on two of the following which I'll join together:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8032441
Obviously I wont be constructing the shelving parts so that should give me a table of 105cm x 140cm x 35cm (roughly 3.5 x 4.5ft). I'm then hoping to use the unused shelving part to create a mount for the UVB strip light so it will hang down over the center of the table with a reflector to maximise UV spread.

I'll add a basking area at one end of the enclosure and likely have a CHE set up on a dimming thermostat down the other end which will be set to 25 degrees.

I'm looking at the following products to achieve this:
UV lighting:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002UDZ140/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1PH60OYR84OEQ&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00912JJKA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001B5U6MK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1
Thermostat:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SQM4OO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I already own a 75W CHE and ceranic lamp holder which I use in my tortoises current habitate.

So a couple of questions regarding lighting / basking / heating:

1. Will a single CHE @ 75W be enough to warm one end of the enclosure or should I be looking to add more than one or upping it to a 100W CHE? - typically our home is warmed to 22 degrees.
  2. I was looking at a 100W spot bulb mounted in a reflector dome hung from an adjustable arm for the basking site, will it be a high enough wattage to create a 35 degree basking area and heat gradient or should I consider a higher wattage bulb suspended higher up or multiple basking sites? I currently only use a 60W spot bulb which in my torts current enclosure provides the correct amount of heat so I have no experience with higher watt spots and how much heat they can throw out.
  3. A 105CM strip UV bulb will cover the width of the table, but would need to throw a UV spread of 70cm in both directions in order to cover the entire length of the enclosure. Will one UV 10% bulb achieve this with a reflector fitted or should I look at either a longer bulb and then mount it across the length of the enclosure to reduce the required UV spread to 50cm in both direction or consider mounting 2 105cm UV strip bulbs to ensure enough UV exposure?

Cheers all.

CylonSurfer

I meant to add that the lighting section of the Arcadia site is currently under construction so it's very hard to find much info on their products.

CylonSurfer

Well this is the finished product:
FrqLp

https://imgur.com/a/FrqLp

180cm x 110cm x35cm