Looking to be a tortoise owner!

Jimboooo94

Location (City and/or State)
Rotherham
Good afternoon people!
So a little introduction really, and my plans and your honest opinions about it. My name is Jamie i’m 26 and I live in Rotherham, England! I have 2 small dogs and am looking at purchasing a tortoise (first time) now, I have read in many many places that vivariums are good and bad, now I am looking to purchase a large vivarium for my little friend so they have plenty of room to manoeuvre and live free! I don’t really have the option of an outside pen due to my dogs, I don’t think they’d hurt it but I don’t really want to risk it to be honest! So it will probably remain indoors in a well ventilated, well secure room, away from my other animals. I just want your honest opinion really, is it humane to keep them in the vivarium? I will certainly take them out to be cleaned and hopefully, if things go well, purchase another tortoise friend for it. Please be gentle as I’m very new to this. I have done quite a lot of research but I’m just after honest opinions, if so, which tortoise is best for that environment? What can I do to give the tortoise the best life and be as comfy as possible?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome!

TFO is a great place to learn about tortoises. Go through the various sub-forums and read through a sampling of the careguides for the different species.to get a feel for the requirements of the different types of torts.

An indoor enclosure is fine for a tortoise, so long as it's big enough for the tort.

I'm a big fan of Russian tortoises... they're not huge, they're pretty tough, they have pretty simple needs.

As regards getting them a friend, probably don't bother... tortoises are solitary creatures by and large, and when a new tortoise doesn't fit in with the existing one, one or both can get injured or killed... at the least you'd need a second enclosure for when/if their relationship didn't work out.

Keep reading and asking questions... there are lots of knowledgable keepers here (I'm not one of them, more of a newbie myself), who are generally more than willing to help.

Jamie

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
Hi Jamie!

I am new to the forum as well and have had my tort for about a month so far. I ended up going for a Redfoot hatchling from a reputable breeder and he is doing great. Everyone on here is pretty good about answering any questions you have, so once you find a breed that you prefer then there will be plenty of threads for you to look through. Good luck with everything!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

It's not as easy or as cheap to keep a tortoise indoors as opposed to outside, however, it can be done. Just make sure you have a large enough container (viv) and the correct lighting and heat. Read the care sheets and learn what it takes to make an indoor tortoise healthy and thrive.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
@Jimboooo94 welcome to the forum. I have seen at least two people in the UK in the last week looking to rehome adult greek torts. If your interested in something like that just shout and Ill post some links.