Looking to adopt (Russian or Hermanns)

Tmo2078

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
Hi I am new to the site and my family and I are looking to adopt a Russian or Hermanns tortoise. We have been doing a lot of research and after I saw how wild caught tortoise are handled in the pet trade industry I decided to look for a tortoise that needs rehoming or purchase a captive bred tortoise. I have been looking at local shelters and rescues but haven't come across any of these tortoises looking for a new home. I was referred to this site, so going to try here and see what happens. We are willing to patiently wait for the right situation to come along. I am located in the Chicago area. Let me know if you need a new home for your Russian or Herman. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tmo2078

Midwest
We ended up finding a little 6 month old Ibera Greek tortoise on Craigslist. I was able to meet the little guys mother and father and the owners kept very detailed records so we have the date he was laid and hatched and his birth weight. He was a little dehydrated but with some daily soaks and a few bits of cucumber mixed with his greens for the past few days he seems to be back on track. Franklin (my 4 yr old named him) is a great addition to the family!

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
We ended up finding a little 6 month old Ibera Greek tortoise on Craigslist. I was able to meet the little guys mother and father and the owners kept very detailed records so we have the date he was laid and hatched and his birth weight. He was a little dehydrated but with some daily soaks and a few bits of cucumber mixed with his greens for the past few days he seems to be back on track. Franklin (my 4 yr old named him) is a great addition to the family!

That's great! Some pictures would be awesome. Hope Franklin enjoys his new home.

Tmo2078

Midwest
Here is the little nugget snacking after his daily soak. He is super friendly and the kids love to feed him. I also included a pic or mom and dad.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Tmo2078

Midwest
We ended up with an Ibera Greek. Is the care info for the Hermann and Greek the same?