Looking into Re-homing options for a 3 year old female Russian.

DSmiley12

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville
When I bought my tortoise from PetSmart, I was 19 and stupid... I have since been browsing this forum for a while, looking into ways to better care for her. Over the years, I've gotten better at tortoise care, though I'm not sure if it's enough.

At the moment, I have her in a 3X4 indoor enclosure, with a nice heat lamp, some warm water for her to dip into off to the side, a small hollow log she can go into for some shade, and natural coconut fiber mats for bedding. I feed her a diet of leafy greens (spinach, kale, arugula), occasionally sprinkle some calcium powder on them, and only occasionally will I provide a sweet treat (she loves strawberries).

My issue is that I never have time for her. I currently work two jobs and am rarely home. So I virtually never have any time to play or socialize with her.

Another issue is a monetary one. I simply do not have the money to keep up with the resources it takes to properly take care of her. Now back when I had her in the PetSmart recommended tiny cage, with cheap substrate and weird pellets for food, no... it didn't cost too much to keep up with her. But things have changed.

I want to make sure that she can live a happy, proper tortoise life and be cherished instead of an afterthought, which due to my busy schedule she has unfortunately become. Does anyone have any tips or things I should look out for when rehoming her? I want to make sure she has the best life possible, even if that isn't with me.

Jcrice1002

Ticonderoga
My husband and I would be interested as well. We have a little girl too and she is always out with us after work and on our days off. We hve a huge lawn our human daughter goes out in and "walks" Gamera. **image for adorableness!

20200816_152532.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've got room for her and would love to add her to my creep of Russians... I live in NH and have mine outside a lot during the summer in huge outdoor enclosures.

Jamie