Looking for tortoise ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I'm looking for an ID on this tortoise...
OddTestudo_zps0598fba6.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its a beauty for sure. Gary I think would know GBtortoises. Have you sent him a PM Ed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ed:

I hope this isn't just a passing visit. I'd love to see you more on the Forum.

I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, so I'm just guessing because of the flared marginals...Marginated????????

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If I can get some stimulating conversation going...

Many say it is Marginated... I see marginated in it but I don't think it is pure.

emysemys said:
Hi Ed:

I hope this isn't just a passing visit. I'd love to see you more on the Forum.

I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, so I'm just guessing because of the flared marginals...Marginated????????

I know he's about but I wanted to throw it out there so all the experts would have a chance.

tortadise said:
Its a beauty for sure. Gary I think would know GBtortoises. Have you sent him a PM Ed?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've seen Turkish Testudo in the wild... not even close.

tortadise said:
I see turkish or hungarian greek. Does have some flared marginal scutes for sure.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I think you are right. Danny came up with it first but I can never take him seriously.

I found some similar photos.

Thanks.

GBtortoises said:
It looks like a Caspian tortoise, Testudo gracea buxtoni, definitely captive raised.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I had one in the past and have one currently, both wild caught. Because they were wild caught their color & contrast aren't as brilliant as the one in your photo but the patterns and the tell tale "sudden" rear marginal flaring is there. But I have not seen a lot of them to be able to say absolutely, definitely for certain!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hi Ed *waves* (biochemnerd = Katie... who you teased on FB!)

Ha, a buxtoni! Then my (Facebook) comment that 'one of mine has that same flare' wasn't so far off... as my foster Greek is a buxtoni, too, as ID'd by Egyptiandan and Tim/Robin. His coloring is way different though. He was also wild caught, and handed around quite a bit before he ended up in the rescue for which I'm fostering him.
side.JPGtop view.JPGwalking around.JPG

I know nothing about identification of Greeks... but am curious to see who else chimes in, and with what ID.

GBtortoises said:
I had one in the past and have one currently, both wild caught. Because they were wild caught their color & contrast aren't as brilliant as the one in your photo but the patterns and the tell tale "sudden" rear marginal flaring is there. But I have not seen a lot of them to be able to say absolutely, definitely for certain!

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ed and Katie, your type of Greek tortoises are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Always fun to see and learn more about the testudo diversity!

Status
Not open for further replies.