Looking for info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
[align=left]​
Hey guys and gals- I am here for my mother who wants to add another pet to her household. They have one cat now, his name is Rico and is about 15 yrs old. Poor cat is acting his age too, walks with a limp, and is very lazy. About 2 months ago I added a parrot to our family and that is what caused my mother to want to add another pet to hers. She first wanted to get a parrot but I luckily talked her out of it because both her and my dad smoke in the house, and use other respiratory irritants in the house that could just send a bird to its doom.

The next thing she mentioned was a turtle, she said she doesn't want an aquatic turtle but "One of those dry land ones." So I told her I would do some research for her since she is WAAAAAAY behind the times. They have never had a computer, let alone know how to use the internet. And on top of things I am relaying all this from 2,500 miles away.

I have done some light research, and I think if they are willing to spend the money, and do things right they could be happy with a smaller one. But I wanted to get in contact with people who actually have these very interesting animals and hear first hand about what kind of space/enclosures are best, diet, vet care, everything you think a beginner should know. Something you wish you knew starting out.

Thanks for all the help and advise in advance.
[/align]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I think the one thing I wish I had known in the beginning (not that it would change things) is how addicting these little guys are. :D Then would be how time consuming to take care of them and to keep learning about them. Gets to be a bit expensive too. Still would not get rid of any of them. :cool:

KellyAF

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! I think the one thing I wish I had known in the beginning (not that it would change things) is how addicting these little guys are. :D Then would be how time consuming to take care of them and to keep learning about them. Gets to be a bit expensive too. Still would not get rid of any of them. :cool:

I think any pet can become addictive when you love them and are passionate about the species! I would def add to my brood if I were able to.

When you say expensive, what kind of monthly number (per tort) would you say? How many do you have btw? If I were talking about getting a tortoise for myself I would not even ask. But I feel my mother would like to know. And if it is out of their range she should def know.

I must say that I have never thought of getting a tort for myself, but I am quickly thinking that in the future I may decide I would like to add one to our family. They are very interesting creatures.

M

Maggie Cummings

If it's going to live inside he'll need a habitat (not aquarium) a MVB (light$50) heater (CHE) $60, substrate $20 water dish hide rocks plants am I missing anything?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It certainly will depend a lot on what type she ends up with. A big difference besides some of the starter things Maggie brought up is the diet. Some are only going to need greens. Eating weeds and home grown plants is best, if they can provide them. Some tortoises however may need more specialized and/or expensive foods. For example my hingebacks cost me more to feed then say my Russians.

Some need more lights or higher heating, which is also more electricity (not such a big thing when your talking one tortoise however) Plus you may want to hibernate the tortoise come winter, once more only some species can this be done with.

Really for us to give you even rough clues, it will help to narrow the possible species down. I am guessing a smaller species?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
the smallest that are widely available are the russians the greeks and hermanns. in the US I would say the russians are the most plentiful. Sorry I keep saying US because I don't know if you or your mom live outside the US or not. You will need a enclosure, light, substrate, and a hide and food. Id you are looking for a monthly total I would say food is your biggest expenditure, if you can grow your own for most of the year that will save you quite a bit, I grow most of my own food, and I love it, almost never have to sped a dime on food.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Really for us to give you even rough clues, it will help to narrow the possible species down. I am guessing a smaller species?

Yes, def a small one. I would urge her to probably get the smallest she could.

maggie3fan said:
If it's going to live inside he'll need a habitat (not aquarium) a MVB (light$50) heater (CHE) $60, substrate $20 water dish hide rocks plants am I missing anything?

It will be inside the house. She first told me she planned on keeping it in a 10gal tank. I told her it would out grow that very quickly, and would need something at least the size of a large kiddie pool. Is that enough space you think.... or more?

dmmj said:
Sorry I keep saying US because I don't know if you or your mom live outside the US or not.

Yes she lives in the States.

As far as food I don't think she would grow it herself. She def has more of a black thumb when it comes to plants of pretty much any kind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi KellyAF:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where your mother is?

In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals and need to be outside. I realize they would need inside time too during inclement weather, but the main habitat should be outside.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi KellyAF:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where your mother is?

In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals and need to be outside. I realize they would need inside time too during inclement weather, but the main habitat should be outside.

She lives in Kentucky, winters of course the little guy would have to come inside. I'm sure she would be able to have something outside too. The summers are probably perfect in her area for living outside. I'll have to do more reading and tell her the sort of dimensions. What sort of cover should be used for rain?

Are kiddie pools acceptable for a habitat? If so she would be much more inclined to have indoor and outdoor housing. He back yard is mostly shaded by huge trees, so the temp would not get too high, nor the sun too hot.

Is there a website where it has everything listed needed for indoor/outdoor habitats that I could just print out and mail to her? I def want her to be able to do everything she can to keep a tort happy, and have plenty of room.

I will of course suggest a stone wall type enclosure outside so that they will be able to make it larger, and shape it along their fence in a 'run' type of housing.
I'm off to the enclosure board to get some suggestions for them!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
KellyAF said:
What sort of cover should be used for rain?

Not exactly sure how you meant this. Overall tortoises have no problem being out in rain, in fact it causes some to be more active, increase breeding attempts, and got hunting for worms and such. :D Now mixing cold and rain, is where it can get into the danger zone.

KellyAF said:
Are kiddie pools acceptable for a habitat? If so she would be much more inclined to have indoor and outdoor housing. He back yard is mostly shaded by huge trees, so the temp would not get too high, nor the sun too hot.

Yes kiddo pools can and are often used. Depending on the size of your tortoise and the species (this term means the same as breed would in dogs). Many species of tortoises are excellent climbers, so that needs to be considered. With the pool you would most likely want to have some kind of a screen over the top to keep out predators and help keep in the tortoise.

The best pool enclosures usually have holes punch in the bottoms and sides for drainage during those sudden rain storms. Depending on the species, you may want your pool either directly in the tree's shade or so the enclosure gets some shade and some sun. Remember the sun moves, so keep that in mind. Within the enclosure, you will need atleast one hide (which yo may depending on species and/or age, want a humid type of hide. Adding plants will give the tortoise more shade, hiding areas, and a sense of security. These can be real or plastic. Real plants are nice as they can offer a food source too, but the flip side is they are a bit more work. You will need a water source, usually something as simple as a plant water saucer will work. Food should be given on something like a slate or unglazed terra cotta saucer, to help with keeping the beak wore down naturally.

So you see size is important in order to fit in everything you need, have both shade and sun spots, and still allow room for the tortoise to move around.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
KellyAF said:
What sort of cover should be used for rain?

Not exactly sure how you meant this. Overall tortoises have no problem being out in rain, in fact it causes some to be more active, increase breeding attempts, and got hunting for worms and such. :D Now mixing cold and rain, is where it can get into the danger zone.

KellyAF said:

Yes kiddo pools can and are often used. Depending on the size of your tortoise and the species (this term means the same as breed would in dogs). Many species of tortoises are excellent climbers, so that needs to be considered. With the pool you would most likely want to have some kind of a screen over the top to keep out predators and help keep in the tortoise.

The best pool enclosures usually have holes punch in the bottoms and sides for drainage during those sudden rain storms. Depending on the species, you may want your pool either directly in the tree's shade or so the enclosure gets some shade and some sun. Remember the sun moves, so keep that in mind. Within the enclosure, you will need atleast one hide (which yo may depending on species and/or age, want a humid type of hide. Adding plants will give the tortoise more shade, hiding areas, and a sense of security. These can be real or plastic. Real plants are nice as they can offer a food source too, but the flip side is they are a bit more work. You will need a water source, usually something as simple as a plant water saucer will work. Food should be given on something like a slate or unglazed terra cotta saucer, to help with keeping the beak wore down naturally.

So you see size is important in order to fit in everything you need, have both shade and sun spots, and still allow room for the tortoise to move around.

If being in the rain is ok for them than that's great, and I will def let her know that. I will have to read up on the different species of the smaller ones and see what works with them... as far as height of walls and such. I think she may use a kiddie pool in the house because they may be moving soon and will be easier to move the pool rather than a custom built enclosure. But she did say that she wanted to get those garden wall stone thingies and build a nice one outside. I think she may really happy with this choice, and I don't feel like she would harm them like she would having a bird with all that smoke.

She does have an old cat that prolly would not be interested in harming the tort.... but any suggestions I could pass along in case he does show interest?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For the cats, with mine the worse they have done ever is to swat (without claws) a few times. Hatchlings of course are small enough to carry off or to hurt without any meaning to do so. I have made simple covering lids for inside the house. More to keep the cats from using the enclosures as little boxes (which the tortoises would love), plus I did have a long haired cat who laid so it's tail got against the fur and started smoking/burning the hair. Was there to save it, but could have been a real horrible accident.

The nice thing with the tortoise needing time outside, is that it may get your parents to spend more time in the fresh air. May cause them to get more exercise with working plants into the experience. May be help them eat more produce as they will need to get some for the tortoise. Tortoises really have added health benefits that are often so subtle we aren't aware of them.

When you do get it narrowed down and are starting to look around, I would really suggest getting an adult. Normally just a bit hardier. Might even locate one in a nearby shelter or rescue. Also plan ahead and find out if there is a nearby Vet who knows tortoises (not all Vets do), that way your prepared just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.