Looking for info

samproctor1

Hi guys I'm looking at buying my first tort and was after some info to get me goin ie easyest tort to start with and setup info thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Your weather and environment Will determine which tort will be easiest for you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sam ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434568315.135115.jpg you know better then we do about what your looking for . So read the care sheets and see what you think is the best then check with the people at the TFO is here for you !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum to you.
You've come to the right place for up to date and comprehensive tortoise info.
Any type of tortoise is possible if you get the set up right to begin with, but limitations of space, indoors and out, the size of tort you want and your climate will be factors in some peoples decisions.
Often Greeks (hurray!), Russians and Hermann's are good starter torts, but there are other options.
Have a look at the care sheets under the species specific section here to get some ideas of the requirements of each type of tortoise.
Ask if you have any specific questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. As mentioned the Russians Hermanns and Greeks are great starters, however, in my opinion if you have the means(money) and space, the tortoise you want the most is the one you might want to start with

samproctor1

Thanks guys I live in the Midlands in England .cost isn't really a factor .I have plenty of room inside and out for a tort.thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Sam

I am in the UK too... in Kent, so a bit further south than you. The Mediterranean species... Testudo ... are reasonably straightforward to keep in our climate.

Tom's beginner mistakes thread is a good place to start http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This is the care sheet for Greeks http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Tortoises are largely solitary creatures in the wikd and roam large distances. They don't need or want company. Keeping torts together in the close confines of captivity often resukts in bullying and one animal becoming sick, so it is best to keep it alone. Unless you get a hatchling, a tortoise table is best for an indoor enclosure... as big as possible. Your tort should also have an outdoor enclosure for the summer months. It is not necessary to hibernate any tortoise in winter, indeed young animals should not be hibernated, so this makes indoor space even more important.

The tortoise enclosures forum contain lots of advice on heating and lighting, substrate and the enclosure itself http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-enclosures.7/

samproctor1

Thank u joes mum.my next question was about hibernation so that's a great help Thank u 4 the links

Bernadette'sMom

Van Buren, AR
Hi Sam, I am a newbie as well and I have a Russian Tortoise. I got her for my 4th wedding anniversary and I just love her! I thought I knew what I was doing by talking and taking advise from the store where she was bought but it was all mainly wrong. You are in the right place! Tom as well as some other members sent me some links and in just two days we are already doing better. I have to warn you these torts are addictive! ;)