Looking for help identifying Harry

Melissa101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone, I was given my tortoise when I was 15, so when I was told he was ‘A Greek Spur Thighed’ tort, that was enough for me!

I’m now 31, and have recently seen some other Spur Thighed who look quite different. Basically Harry was smaller despite being older, and his shell just seemed more shiny, if that’s the right word? Or like, it’s quite dark/vivid, whereas these torts had quite muted colours.

I feel very stupid, but only then realised there are different subspecies (I know, what an idiot!).

I was hoping someone could tell me if Harry looks like Testudo graeca graeca, or iberia. And if possible, link me to some info about adult sizes so I can see if he’s small for his age, or if he’s ok.

I know I’m late, but I really want to make sure I’m giving him the best possible care, and am worried that my lack of knowledge about possible specifics of his subspecies might have affected him. I want to change that to ensure he’s as happy & healthy as possible!

Thanks in advance :)

(also, I know his nails need a trim. We can’t get to our vet due to lockdown, so have ordered some clippers to do it ourselves. He only recently woke up from hibernation and I swear they weren’t that long when he went in!)

3D9C89D4-E1D1-4F19-9649-4DAC38E7D8B1.jpeg4CB7CA9C-5D92-4428-A300-6FCBCC1D63EB.jpegDF6B0178-EC76-4761-8211-ECC442024A28.jpeg14D6E561-54EE-49CA-931F-E28A2EF390BA.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Testify graeca ibera for sure.
Sizes vary for this species with some topping out around 6” while many surpass 10”. We have 11” females and 9-10” males here.
Here’s the link to the Ibera page on one of my sites:https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-graeca-ibera

@Melissa101 there is an autocorrect error in the species Chris has given you. It should read Testudo Graeca Ibera. He is the expert so you can take his word on it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Harry is just beautiful! You sure this is a male? Just fishing for more comments/information.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
These phones and their autocorrects are going to kill me. You guys should see some of the things I accidentally type....

anyway yes, TESTUDO graeca ibera and surely a male.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Harry is just beautiful! You sure this is a male? Just fishing for more comments/information.
Thank you so much! Yes definitely male, I know because a few years ago he had a parasite & it caused his penis to keep prolapsing! So I saw an awful lot of it ? Luckily that was treated & hasn’t happened since!

His tail is very strange though, it often tucks right up under the ridge of his shell, which makes him look female at times!