Looking for greek male and Golden Greek Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hi,
I am looking for a couple of greek torts.
specifically a male greek and a female golden greek.
but will concider any greeks.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
hi Crazy, are you looking for ADULTS or hatchlings?

if your interested in hatchlings, you can maybe ask about shelledwarriors.co.uk
click breeders and scroll around see what you find.

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I happen to have a golden greek male. I have been trying to get him a mate for a while now but cannot afford one. If you can assure me that my golden greek male (rusty) will have a golden greek female in his terrarium then I can just give rusty to you for free. also if we are going to do this I live in georgia and need some idea how to ship him to you.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That would be great. I am in Califonia. I would happily pay shipping. Unfortunatly shipping shouldn't be done until about April Danny I am sure will give us some hints on shipping. I'll ask him. And yes he will have a female, I am looking for more than one for him. How large is he and do you have pictures. Consider this a done deal, if thats ok.

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok consider it a closed deal. You say i cannot send rusty till april. I don't know much about turtles perhaps you are right and it's too cold to send him now. But I would like to send rusty as soon as we can. What you describe sounds like turtle paradise. Here's a picture i just took of him.

View attachment 305

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rusty looks sweet. I just messaged Danny about shipping- Will let you know. How long have you had him?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He does look great. He isn't a Golden greek though. Can you take a picture of his carapace, looking straight down on top of him and a plastron shot. He could be a Jordanian, Antakyan greek or a cross between the 2.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Danny, I didn't think he looked Golden either, I just PM'ed Rustytheturtle and asked him to take the pics and post on this thread so that we (he he) you could help with identifying him. And so I can get him the correct females. Hope he posts soon.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
From that picture, he looks just like Dozer, our Greek! And he was sold as a Golden, too, but wasn't Golden! LOL!

Can different types of Greeks breed? Can they even be housed (safely) together? (I'm just curious!)

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here is his top and bottom of his shell. Notice he has a war wound on the bottom. The doctor says the wound is not big enough to fix but i should keep an eye on it. That reminds me i should take rusty to the vet and see if he is healthy enough for shipping. perhaps we'll have to get his war wound fixed. He had the wound since i got him. he is suposed to be nineteen years old. I have only had him a year now. I found him at petsmart.

Attachments

• DSCF0842.JPG
    DSCF0842.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0844.JPG
    DSCF0844.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0840.JPG
    DSCF0840.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 39

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's from the Jordan/Israel area of the middle east.

They can Kelly, but you don't get as many fertile eggs and the hatchlings don't always do very well. Always best to keep like animals together only.

Danny

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm confused does that mean he is not a greek tort. I was told he was from the people at petsmart.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He is a Greek tortoise, just not a "Golden" greek tortoise. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Here are some links that will help explain golden Greeks-There is still some discussion regarding Greek vs. Golden Greeks but these links should help. Pet stores often don't know or care and most important is where they originate from to get there habitat and diet right when in captivity. There are many different Testudo subspecies and debates going on all the time as to who and what fits were.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/golden.htm
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm
http://www.chelonia.org/testudo_gallery.htm

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm still patently waiting till april so i can ship rusty to you. I almost have an inclination to do a road trip through texas then it would be warm enough. But then i would be further from home than i have ever been. Right now i'm in marietta ga.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rustytheturtle said:
I'm still patently waiting till april so i can ship rusty to you. I almost have an inclination to do a road trip through texas then it would be warm enough. But then i would be further from home than i have ever been. Right now i'm in marietta ga.
I am anxiously awaiting his arrival. :D I have set up a new floor plan for the back yard, seeded and already the new plants are sprouting. They should be nice and deep by the time he gets here. And the new pen will be up. I'll post Pics when its finished.
It seems almost odd to me that people have not traveled far from home. I have traveled all over the US as a kid. I have lived on both coasts and in between and as an adult have traveled from Canada to Mexico.
I’d be tempted to meet you in Texas and pick him up if I had time off work but I don’t unfortunately. Took too much time off when I was down with the flu. Its cold and rainy here today. Just reminds me that Spring is still a little ways off :(

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok it's about april now. Send me a private message with your adress and how i am suposed to ship him. I hope your ready for him. Rusty is tired of living in a fishtank.

Rustytheturtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK i have to wait till it's warm in ohio not georgia. I'll keep looking at the wether report link you gave me. Also I think there's enough time for one last checkup from the turtle doctor in georgia. I want him to check up that war wound he has and ask if it needs sealed up, and also generally make sure he is healthy enough to be shipped.

Crazy1 said:
I have sent you a PM Ohio is still cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.