Looking For Early Signs of Pyramiding w/ Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone out there had some early pictures of pyramiding pics in a Sulcata? Specifically somewhere within the first year.

Also, if anyone would like to add what some of the early signs are I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Matt

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are concerned about your own tortoise, it would be easier if you posted pics and we'll tell you if you need to be worried :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only early sign I know of is the scutes are raising, which by then, you already have some pyramiding started. If you haven't check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They will tell you one way to house your sulcata, so you won't get pyramiding.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Nope not at all. I just want to see some pics of early hatchling pyramiding along with some signs on what to look for.

When I post on here I generally try to bring things up that I've had questions about (and didn't find answers in previous forum posts) so future readers can get something out of the thread as well.

wellington said:
The only early sign I know of is the scutes are raising, which by then, you already have some pyramiding started. If you haven't check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They will tell you one way to house your sulcata, so you won't get pyramiding.

I see. Yes I've checked out those threads, they were the reason I joined this site in the first place.

Actually Wellington I think you responded to one of my other threads, about humidity levels and what not? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look for at early levels so anyone who may have questions or concerns could take a peak and know what to look for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best I can tell you. The rim of each scute will look raised and also feel raised. What is hard about pics. Some will look raised, even though they aren't. Then some will look raised, and they are. If you searched, titles like is my tortoise pyramided, you might find some threads that have pics of some that are just the starting of and some that may look like it but isn't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you start to see a little notch between the scutes, then you already have a problem.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
wellington said:
The best I can tell you. The rim of each scute will look raised and also feel raised. What is hard about pics. Some will look raised, even though they aren't. Then some will look raised, and they are. If you searched, titles like is my tortoise pyramided, you might find some threads that have pics of some that are just the starting of and some that may look like it but isn't.

So the rims shouldn't feel, I guess you'd say, "individualized"? They should feel like a completely smooth service like that of a globe or something?

Tom said:
When you start to see a little notch between the scutes, then you already have a problem.

Tom, what do you mean by notches? Do you mean likes spaces or something like that?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have also wondered about that because my torts. all feel like they have ridges where the rings around the scutes ? are. I have pictures posted if you want to take a look but I can't tell from photos either. What are the notches? Are those the raised rings around the scutes because I know what pyramiding looks like but not the beginnings of the pyramiding.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, I was just also curious.:)

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You're not hijacking it at all haha. These are the kind of questions that I'm also wondering about!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A slight ridge around each scute is normal, but if there is a gap that you could fit a finger nail in then you probably have the start of pyramiding. The margins of the scutes should be growing flat and out, not up and stepped. When that first scute starts to grow up, instead of flat, you can see a "notch. When multiple scutes grow up instead of out over time you end up with a pyramid. The good news is that if you see a problem early on and adjust the conditions or your routine, you can stop it and start getting the scutes to grow smooth and flat again.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
I wonder the same questions zeus is about 6 or 7 months old and I constantly worry about pyramidin. He gets to go outside everyday and enjoy sun light and heat. he gets soaked everyday twice...... Does zeus have early signs of pyramiding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ICUSleeping said:
I wonder the same questions zeus is about 6 or 7 months old and I constantly worry about pyramidin. He gets to go outside everyday and enjoy sun light and heat. he gets soaked everyday twice...... Does zeus have early signs of pyramiding

Post a pic and we'll have a look.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
ICUSleeping said:
We'd have to see pics of him in order for us to say he has pyramiding or not. With your type of routine I doubt he would have any.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Tried posting a pic but it did not upload and didn't find out until just now I will post 1 as soon as I get to a computer

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
lovelyrosepetal said:
Thanks Tom. That was very helpful to me:) Thanks for this thread, LestaHIM!:)

No problem at all that's what it's here for!

I may as well throw some pics up; it can't hurt for everyone to take a look.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sorry Everyone for taking so long to respond. I'm throwing up a few pics now. Let me know what you think!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. You are off to a fine start. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.