Looking for Chery Head Red foot Tort

noinoi24

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hello,

I have been planning on getting a tortoise since last year. I have the Tortoise set-up box and everything necessary. I am looking to buy a really red Cherry Head Red foot Tort. I prefer local so I can choose the colorations. Im in Socal 92354. I have $100-150 budgeted for one. I have talked to one of the well admired breeder/Keeper Vicki, but unfortunately she's don't have them anymore. Please reach out to me thru DM or text me 951-275-1580. Thank you so much!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Can we see some photos of your "set-up"?
The box, lights, etc.
We may be able to help you tweak what you've got to help you get super prepared for your tortoise.
Cherryheads in that price range are unusual. But several members here offer babies to other members inexpensively whom have shown that they can correctly care for one.
Best of luck to you.

noinoi24

SoCal
Awesome. Here’s my set-up. I am so excited to experience everyone’s excitement.

Attachments

• 1D949922-F5FD-45BE-B29A-BF8956E9223C.jpeg
    1D949922-F5FD-45BE-B29A-BF8956E9223C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok
I was worried about the box. But it can still work.
If I had it, I'd cut a piece of plexiglass that 90% covered the screen area. That will effectively make what is termed a "closed chamber" enclosure. It will help keep in humidity. Humidity will be your hardest thing to maintain.
Then you'll need a CHE .(Ceramic heat emitter) and a florescent light strip mounted inside the box.
You can search closed chamber, che and florescent strip lamps.
Your parameters will be 80 to 86 degrees. No hotter. Humidity of over 75% and lighting that isn't super bright.
Although I keep my Redfoot torts outside and actually have little experience keeping them indoors, we have many, many keepers that keep them indoors.
If you have an area outdoors where your new friend can get some sunlight for a few hours, you can do without an indoors UV light. But do NOT buy one of the UV bulbs that pet stores want to unload.

noinoi24

SoCal
Thanks for the advice. Yes I will work on that closed set-up. And yes I have Ceramic heat bulb for it too... i will place the house near a window so around 4-6 they can get natural sunlight.

noinoi24

SoCal
Copy that! Thank you! I have UV as well. Sunlight is just supplemental.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Cherryman304

Copy that! Thank you! I have UV as well. Sunlight is just supplemental.
That is going to be way to bright for a cherryhead. You really just need a fluorescent strip light that's made for uvb source and you the fire mentioned CHE for heat. Redfoots dont like hot basking spots. I can attest to that. I rarely saw my tort when using a basking light. Once I killed the basking light and kept my ambient temps around 86-90 degrees F they loved it in they.

noinoi24

SoCal
Beautiful. Thank you! Will work on the lights and the acrylic top. Also what wattage can I have for it?