looking for a Tortoise identification guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
indiana
I am looking for a good tortoise identification guide. Does anyone have a recomendation? I cant seem to find much of anything. Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

I use The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are some pretty good pictures of tortoises and turtles on the WCT site.

http://www.chelonia.org/species.htm

Also, if you know what you are looking for, you can click on "images" at the top of the page on the GOOGLE home page and type in the tortoise type, hit send, and lots of pictures of that type of animal come up.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats because there isn't anything out there :p I can't think of a single book or website that marries pictures with a description of all tortoises.
Encyclopedia of Turtles by Peter Pritchard is great for description, but is dated. Turtles of the World by Bonin, Devaux and Dupre is okay for descriptions, but doesn't have every species pictured.
Turtles of the World Vol. 1-4 by Vetter has great pictures, but no descriptions.
So it's lots of books and lots of internet searching to find everything, until someone does a book.

Danny

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
haha thanks guys. I think we need to put together an audubon type guide stricktly for turtles and torts. I would pay dearly lol

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Portugal
egyptiandan said:
Thats because there isn't anything out there :p I can't think of a single book or website that marries pictures with a description of all tortoises.
Encyclopedia of Turtles by Peter Pritchard is great for description, but is dated. Turtles of the World by Bonin, Devaux and Dupre is okay for descriptions, but doesn't have every species pictured.
Turtles of the World Vol. 1-4 by Vetter has great pictures, but no descriptions.
So it's lots of books and lots of internet searching to find everything, until someone does a book.

Danny

I know the books mentioned and have two of them, and I think exactly as you! ;)

Well, that´s not want you want to "hear" but there's always: http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/enforce/pdf/Turtle/CITES_Turtle_Guide.pdf ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.