Looking for a male Egyptian.

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Portland Oregon
Hello fellow members;
I have 4 females and 1 male Egyptians. I want to add another male they won’t breed for some reason. Hoping the extra male will add male competition to the colony and get breeding going. Hopefully someone has an extra male they can part with?
Thank you for reading, Gerry

Attachments

• DA088CC8-C76B-4700-A8DF-932C07109E2D.jpeg
    DA088CC8-C76B-4700-A8DF-932C07109E2D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Tom

zovick

10 Year Member!
Until you come up with another male, you might try keeping your lone male separated from the females and introducing him to them once every week or ten days to see if that stimulates him. Leave him with them for a day or two, then isolate him again for another week or so, etc.

Another idea would be to split your four females into two groups of two each and keep each group of two females in a separate pen. Keep the male with one of the female groups for a week or ten days, then move him into the pen with the other two females and leave him there for the next week or so. Keep repeating these transfers of the male into the different female pens for several months.

Both of the above techniques have worked well for me when breeding Radiated Tortoises in the early days when I had only one mature male and multiple females.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello fellow members;
I have 4 females and 1 male Egyptians. I want to add another male they won’t breed for some reason. Hoping the extra male will add male competition to the colony and get breeding going. Hopefully someone has an extra male they can part with?
Thank you for reading, Gerry
I'm about to start with this species for the first time myself. Following your thread with interest. Great tips from Bill!

May I ask how old your are? What size enclosure?

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Portland Oregon
I'm about to start with this species for the first time myself. Following your thread with interest. Great tips from Bill!

May I ask how old your are? What size enclosure?
I love Bill he is my mentor on this species also.

Reactions: Tom

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Portland Oregon
Do they need to be a certain age, regardless of size, to breed, like radiata?

Do you hibernate them?

What luck to have Bill as mentor. Wow.
Definitely takes 3 to 5 to reach breeding age. They don’t hibernate they aestivate they sleep when it’s too hot.