looking for a lil help

whitles2021

Location (City and/or State)
New Paris
i just got a baby sulcata tortoise today and would like to know what everyone thinks is the best to put in the enclosure. I have a water bowl and food bowl in there and i have uvb light and a heat light to keep her warm our house is off and on cool. the enclosure is a wood one and i dont want her to have problems with the wood rubbing her wrong.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Post pictures of your setup and read the care sheet. It will answer most of your questions.if you still have more questions after reading it, come back and ask them here.

whitles2021

New Paris
the other owner said this was the best cage not sure at all about that she has stayed in her shell alot of the evening and hasnt ate anything

156923486_174534720949342_8536190832303999250_n.jpg157792257_225187902645414_3304631776336744057_n.jpg156568166_105634844831149_115861634100629457_n (1).jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
In order for that tort to survive. Everything about your setup need to change. You will need a closed chamber style enclosure. It will keep heat and humidity in better than an open top. You need to put substrate in the enclosure. Your water and feed bowls are not the right size and are flipping hazard. Make sure you read the caresheet thoroughly. These changes need to be made asap

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
the other owner said this was the best cage not sure at all about that she has stayed in her shell alot of the evening and hasnt ate anything

Please please please read the How to Raise a Sully Care Guide thats already been posted in this thread. Lighting, substrate, heating & humidity. A nice humid hide. A proper water dish... and more. There’s no way your current set up is going to work for that baby.

If you have any questions, please follow-up. Lots of ppl can help!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He is beautiful but please make the changes suggested or your baby will soon get very sick and you won't have him long.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is what a baby sulcata's enclosure should look like:

Vision cage with CDT.jpg

Well, not EXACTLY like this, but similar - substrate on the floor, plants as visual barriers, hiding places, a waterer big enough for him to climb into, etc.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
:oops: This enclosure is not suitable for any animal ( including rabbits) listen to everybodys advice and make those changes ASAP u have a beautiful lil tort there and would hate for it to lose its life because of poor care.

whitles2021

New Paris
thank u guys im getting a different enclosure today and the bedding and have to wait until tomorrow for everything else local pet stores dont carry the things so had to order. im very upset that i feel like the guy lied about that enclosure and that i dont need anything else for her

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
thank u guys im getting a different enclosure today and the bedding and have to wait until tomorrow for everything else local pet stores dont carry the things so had to order. im very upset that i feel like the guy lied about that enclosure and that i dont need anything else for her
He might not have lied. He might not know better. Unfortunately there is alot of wrong info out there. Keep coming back here and people will get you where you need to be

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just make sure you get the temps right asap as instructed on the caresheet,
Cold can kill babies and they can also over heat and die if too hot, so use a reliable thermometer to adjust your temps.
Torts won't be active or eat if they aren't warm enough.

whitles2021

New Paris
Just make sure you get the temps right asap as instructed on the caresheet,
Cold can kill babies and they can also over heat and die if too hot, so use a reliable thermometer to adjust your temps.
Torts won't be active or eat if they aren't warm enough.
i got her to eat a lil bit ago and she started walking around

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Make sure to give a nice long warm water soak every day. Your temps are going to be critical here, make SURE the overall ambient room temp is 80F. Getting the enclosure all set up is very critical today. Is New Paris in Indiana? Are you close to a WalMart, Lowes, HomeDepot or Ace Hardware? You should be able get all the right stuff to get your tortoise set up today if u are close to one of these stores... good luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
i got her to eat a lil bit ago and she started walking around
You still need to get the temps right or she won't be able to digest the food properly and could get a respiratory infection.
Sadly many babies are lost because of poor temp management.
Someone posted a tread this pm about losing their baby and unfortunately they were given wrong information about temps too but you have a good chance now to correct that before the worse happens to you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many, many sources out there are still using ANCIENT information.
And most pet shops are at least 20 years behind the times when it comes to stocking and selling the correct items.
People aren't trying to mislead. They simply don't know any better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very little of what you need will be found at a pet shop. Most of it is at a hardware store.

Please understand that the baby must be kept warm while you wait for the proper stuff to arrive, get set up, tested, and adjusted before the baby can move in. You can accomplish this by putting the baby in a large plastic tub with substrate and a humid hide, and keeping this tub in a bathroom with a space heater and the door closed. Hanging a basking lamp over head and daily soaks will keep the tortoise alive until the correct enclosure is ready.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Possibly he told you the truth as he knows it. For years tortoise care was exactly what that breeder recommended. Because that is how we all kept tortoises. Then times changed and TFO members changed with it. But a lot of people didn't improve tortoise care like we did.