looking for a fruitless mulberry tree

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
looking for a fruitless mulberry tree to plant in sulcata enclosure. i cannot find one anywhere! does anyone know where i can purchase one?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I bought one from a website that was on here at one time, silkworms.com or something like that. Sorry I cannot remember the exact name. It is a small fruitless tree.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
This is only a gess but lookup Bud grafting on the internet . You may be able to do a Bud graft to a nother tree like a peacon tree and it will not fruit just grow .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Coastal sells them but usually only in the spring. You can see if they have any left. I just got three of them this spring and one last spring. Here is their site and they are also members http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
thanks wellington, i checked and they are out of stock at the moment!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
This is only a gess but lookup Bud grafting on the internet . You may be able to do a Bud graft to a nother tree like a peacon tree and it will not fruit just grow .

thanks grandpa turtle but i don't have a shoot to graft nor a tree to graft to! we only have one tree, huge oak, in our back yard!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Coastal sells them but usually only in the spring. You can see if they have any left. I just got three of them this spring and one last spring. Here is their site and they are also members http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
these are the dwarf variety, how big do they get and will it produce enough leaves for my sulcata?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They come pretty small, mine was about 2 feet tall when I got it. I think you need a big one for a Sakata :) I have seen them online in other places but I haven't tried local nurseries.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
See that's what I'm talking about seeds fall from your oak tree and sprout in to a small oak tree let it get to about 1 foot tall then see if some one on the TFO will send a small bud cutting . If all else is out of season you might get surprised . But good luck with you mulberry tree .

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
See that's what I'm talking about seeds fall from your oak tree and sprout in to a small oak tree let it get to about 1 foot tall then see if some one on the TFO will send a small bud cutting . If all else is out of season you might get surprised . But good luck with you mulberry tree .

i may wind up giving that a try, no luck at all finding a fruitless tree!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I've purchased a few from Coastal. You can sometimes find them on eBay if he's out of them.

Last edited: