Looking for 5'x2' outdoor enclosure, that can be shipped to me

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
Hey! Looking for some advice here :)

I move and got my first outdoor space ever! The balcony of my new apartment has room for a 5'x2' enclosure, and I am hoping to maximize the room that my russian tortoise Tywin has outside.

Constraints: I have no car, though I am willing to Uber from the home depot a couple miles away from me. Ideally, I could get materials or a container shipped directly to me. I am not sure how much an Uber driver would like me loading 5 feet planks of wood into their car!

Looking online, containers that are big enough cost $100+, including the price of shipping, which seems a little ridiculous. Also, I am having trouble finding places that are willing to ship materials / wood large enough to build the enclosure I want.

Do you have recommendations for websites or companies that could ship materials or a container directly to me? Thank you for the help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most premade tort enclosures are closed chambers and well over 100 bucks.
Look online for raised garden beds. Usually you can find reasonable priced ones and if they aren't big enough, get two and join them together.
Btw, an adult Russian should have a minimum of a 4x8 foot. People without enough room, usually build two levels.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey! Looking for some advice here :)

I move and got my first outdoor space ever! The balcony of my new apartment has room for a 5'x2' enclosure, and I am hoping to maximize the room that my russian tortoise Tywin has outside.

Constraints: I have no car, though I am willing to Uber from the home depot a couple miles away from me. Ideally, I could get materials or a container shipped directly to me. I am not sure how much an Uber driver would like me loading 5 feet planks of wood into their car!

Looking online, containers that are big enough cost $100+, including the price of shipping, which seems a little ridiculous. Also, I am having trouble finding places that are willing to ship materials / wood large enough to build the enclosure I want.

Do you have recommendations for websites or companies that could ship materials or a container directly to me? Thank you for the help!
You might be able to get a stock tank delivered from Tractor Supply Store.

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Thanks for the replies! In case anyone else searches in the future, I ended up going to the home depot near me, and they deliver from the store for a flat rate of $20. So, I got my supplies! I will make another post when I am done building, I am very excited :)

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Am I the only one who does not like the combination of tortoise and balcony ? Just wondering.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am I the only one who does not like the combination of tortoise and balcony ? Just wondering.
Balcony is'fine as long as a proper enclosure is made which includes shade. Better then never getting outside even if it's not on the ground, at least its fresh air.

LeahK

Berkeley CA
That, and the sunlight. If I get him out there for a few hours each week, then I don't really even need to use UVB.