Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hello,
I have been following this forum for almost a year..
It all started when I "tortoise-sat" my friend's Russian for 3 weeks in the beginning of this year. The whole family enjoyed watching him. After he went home we started our own search for a Russian. I've had a rather large collection of animals over the years ( I trained them and did educational presentations to schools etc.) but NEVER kept a tortoise because I always thought they were boring. LOL. I am pleased to have discovered I was wrong :p In my research of tortoises I stumbled upon this forum. After a few weeks of reading up on the different species and their varied care I came across The End of Pyramiding II thread. The Leopard tortoise was a much better fit for me and I felt up to the challenge of raising a leopard hatchling smooth with a hot, humid, hydrated method. Now that I knew what species I wanted and had read up extensively on their specific care I searched for a breeder. I found a lady fairly close to me who had a few clutches available. Finally after almost 3 full months of research, I met the lady and chose one of her babies. We have named him Leviathan (a large Biblical monster) but since he is still small we call him Levi. If "he" becomes a "she"...well..we will cross that bridge when we get there.
Levi is today 6months old. He is our perfect pet and we couldn't be happier. When kept inside he is in a 40gal with the top covered. His humidity is at 80% his low temps are 81 and up to 105 for basking. When kepts outside he has his own garden built and grown just for him. It is 20'x6' or 120sq ft. My husband's tool shed makes one wall, our back block wall makes one wall and the other 2 wall are built up of brick. When we older/larger/stronger we will mortar the brick retaining wall but for now they are simply stacked. I have grown different grasses and weeds in there from seeds and purchased a few cultivated plants/succulents native to Africa and it is his perfect paradise. He loves it, I love it and I literally can sit and watch him cruise around for hours. Not so boring anymore ;)
Thank you Tom for your educational information about raising this species. Levi is still completely smooth and growing beautifully.
Thank you Moderators and Administrators for running this forum so people like me can give the best to their torts.:tort:
I will be posting pictures of Levi and his set ups in the appropriate sections. :)

Heather

Heather

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Officially welcome to the forum. :D Glad you choose to stop lurking and start sharing with us! :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello, and welcome!

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Hi!! I did the same thing for 6 months lol. Glad you made it :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Heather!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are welcome! :D

...and... Hello and welcome to the "two way" version of the forum.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Glad you can join us! Excited to see your tortoise grow through the years with this method. Keep us updated on Levi!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What a way to get a pets. Kudos to you, (and welcome!!)/
Now where are those pictures????
NAy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
yes i am glad to finally be able to share my perspectives and experiences. hopefully i'll also be able help others. i'm still trying to understand the "how to" of using this forum but I'm on my way and im sure will be a pro soon enough ;)
thanks for the welcome everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.